Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 27-09-2006 , 04:06 AM

What is UV Mapping

I'd just like to know what it is, cause I need to learn for a school project.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

George Bernard Shaw - Man and Superman
# 2 27-09-2006 , 10:24 AM
Senior Software Developer
UV Mapping is:

Is a way of saying u,v texture coordinates, which are positions within an ideal image (1-by-1). These typically connect to points in a 3D mesh, to position an image texture on the mesh. Like virtual tacks, they pin an exact spot on an image to a point on an object's surface. Between the tacks, renderers will stretch the image smoothly. This is what is referred to as UV mapping. UV mapping is used extensively in real-time environments, like OpenGL and typical 3D games, where hardware-based shading routines can be re-used for texture interpolation. It is also useful on another level with NURBS, and other parametric surfaces, which have inherent u,v parameters defined continuously along the entire surface.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 3 27-09-2006 , 06:41 PM
Oh. That sounds cool. Thanx a lot. Now I'll learn how to do it.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

George Bernard Shaw - Man and Superman