Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 11-10-2007 , 10:49 PM
Subscriber

Where does yours come from?

Since i've started getting back into Maya and the whole 3d art thing again i've started a few models but haven't finished any of them because i get about half way through sit back and think "why?". With everything i seem to create i always seem to consentrate far too much on the technical side of things and don't create anything that really moves me emotionally. It's not like doodling with a pen or pencil where i might sit down and draw a load of crap probably just a load of random shapes and in my mind i'll start to see something appear from those shapes i can work on because you can't do that in 3d.

So i'm just wondering, where do you guys get the inspiration for your different pieces of work?

# 2 11-10-2007 , 11:34 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Ahh the old creative block I believe.

Personally my own ideas come from films. my biggest inspiration be Star Wars then followed up by the western genre, so I mix my styles in between these two. Theres a plethora of real interesting characters in these types of thing so I basically mix n match stuff, but I try and think outside the box. Many times I start work and people just dont 'get it' but the minute its finished the penny drops, I love keeping people guessing with my work.

I think the thing to do is focus your creativity at the things that interest you, albeit, games, film, sport, nature, cartoons. But I think that alot of things can also come from real life. If I get an idea from a day to day scenario, I'll put a twist on it. Makes it interesting.

And like you I doodle away. If I have an idea, I doodle, doodle, doodle until that idea is nailed on the paper then its off to be refined then into 3d...

Cheers
Jay

# 3 12-10-2007 , 12:21 AM
Subscriber
yeah i can relate with you man!!,

recently i just cant come with any good idea's, in terms of character design, what i've started doing is looking for pictures on the internet and just modeling from other peoples concept drawing,

and the crazy thing is i'm actualy enjoying it, the way i see it is if and when i do get a 3d character modeling job i'm going to be modeling from other peoples drawings anyway so i might as well start getting used to it

# 4 12-10-2007 , 12:55 AM
aww , do your own stuff. Some companies will expect you to do both. etc.... just do metamorphosis stuff. Grab 3 pictures off google of different things and just mix them up!

# 5 12-10-2007 , 03:43 AM
Subscriber
I'll have to give to idea of mix 'n' matching images and cross genre scenes a go, because i guess by doing so you not only create something new but it should also help give it that interesting twist that helps both and other people stay interested in it.

# 6 12-10-2007 , 08:13 AM
@ckyuk- Video games are usually a great place for inspiration.
Especially now that low poly models aren't as necessary for games anymore.

@Jay- Have you by chance seen Starballs? Quite a funny knockoff to Star Wars.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

George Bernard Shaw - Man and Superman
# 7 12-10-2007 , 08:56 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
hehe yeah Space Balls you mean. Very cool and very funny. I havent seen it in years.

Jay

# 8 12-10-2007 , 10:05 AM
Subscriber
Well over the years i collect cool images that i find from the web, and i stick them into a Inspiration folder. If i'm stuck i browse these images and cook a new creation.

For example the lulu on the walk project, i found a nice anime image of a character (no not Wizard of OZ and for sure not O.Z :p )

Well extualy to be honnist that character had an halloween look, and from that image i got sparked to another idea.

So the only suggestions is watch movies, shorts, images even playing rpg games can trigger your mind into a creative blast! it helps me.

If your stuck, don't forse yourself do something els, even if it's a paying freelance job, don't break your brain, just don't be gone for weeks :p

Also reading interviews, watching concept sketches do the trick!