Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 14-02-2011 , 07:13 PM

Change center on mac/fire rotation

hey i have 2 questions. the first is more modeling then the second but i figured its better to just do one post.

so i was wondering how to change the center or origin on a mac. on a pc its the Insert button i no that makes it pop up and allows you to just move and rotate like a object. but we are un sure how to do this. im on a mac book so i have a very limited keyboard =)

my second question is about the fire button in the dynamics part. i have found that it would be nice to just do some visualization. but i was wondering if there is a way to make it shoot sideways instead of flow up. like in a rocket or something like that. also is there a way to parent them to objects so when the obj rotates the angle of the fire does too?

anyways this forums been great so far so dont let me down! let me no anything u can and thanks ahead of time!

# 2 14-02-2011 , 09:04 PM
For question one use the "home" key on the mac in place of "insert". I am not a dynamics guy so not suer about question two.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 3 15-02-2011 , 04:51 PM
we did try that but i dont have a home key on the laptop, also we tried a keyboard and the home key did not work either?

# 4 15-02-2011 , 04:52 PM
Don't know what to tell you then except buy a windows PC (that was meant as a joke).

Seriously, though it's not a "home" key as such. I believe you have to press function+left or some goofy ass stupid MAC mystical key combination, because we all know less is better! LOL. If Jobs has his way the MAC keyboard would have ONE button on it!

You could send your model to a friend with a real keyboard have 'em change the pivot and send the model back to you! (sorry but I personally hate MAC's so I cannot resist any opportunity to poke fun at them).

Go here and watch it might answer your question and if it does not then not joking - get a windows PC

https://www.ehow.co.uk/video_4445095_...ints-maya.html

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 15-02-2011 at 05:01 PM.