Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 05-10-2016 , 07:11 PM

Render question

I'm working on a model I'd like to render into a scene. It's a vehicle and I'd like to set it in an airport runway type scene but not model an entire scene. Will ibl do something like that if I'm able to find a picture?

# 2 06-10-2016 , 12:10 AM
Rendering an object and compositing it into a photo is very common. Once you have your object modeled the way you want and textured, it's all about matching up three things. If you can match the lighting, shading, and angle of your model to that of the photo, then the results should look pretty good.

If you're using Maya to do everything (and assuming things haven't changed much since 2009), you'll probably want to use Maya's "Use Background" material. It allows the assigned surface to pick up color from the camera's background color or image plane. You can probably google it to find out more about it and how to use it. Just keep in mind that my cg knowledge is about 5 years old so my advice might be outdated. Either way, I hope this helps you get started.

Good luck on your project.

Oh yeah, if your object has reflective surfaces and you need some realistic reflections, then yeah, I'm sure IBL will be very useful.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 3 06-10-2016 , 12:33 AM
I am using maya (2012) for everything including comp. so once I'm done uving the texture or paint shader (haven't made my mind up yet) I'll match the lighting from the pic which I still need to hunt down. Thanks for the tips...I would of never thought of matching the lighting until three renders in, thanks for that...