Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 19-07-2003 , 02:43 AM
Subscriber

help?? please ... anyone

hi fellow mayan; i need some help (of course). its about fur for a human character. when using maya fur, how do i actually choose where i want to place the hair, like on top of the head, because when i create a new fur description, it puts it on the entire surface. i tried reversing normals but it still does not compensate for accurate hair proportion, how can i place the fur accurately on the model's head?
i won't even bother with paint fx, i have discovered that it actually renders much slower than fur given appropriate settings. so please help guys, how can i put the fur where it's supposed to be, like the top of head ***only***, not entire surface. my last resort is to model the hair, which is not so bad, but it's my last option.
thanx in advance.

# 2 19-07-2003 , 03:28 AM
Subscriber
the best way is create a texture file to attach to the baldness of the fur description.

to create the file use the 3d paint brush on the surface anything with no hair paint black.

you must than save the file and than connect it to the baldness by dragging the file from the hypershade to the attribute editor.
make sure you bake after you do this.

This is a bit difficult to understand but give it a try.

# 3 19-07-2003 , 03:42 PM
or if you look in the help file..... user added image you can paint the baldness attributes. So you can paint where you want hair and where you dont. Best way is to set the baldness to 0 and flood the surface and then set it to 1 and then carefully paint where you want the hair. Oh this is using the paint fur attributes tool (set to baldness)

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB