Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 26-01-2004 , 03:38 PM

Moving groups

I have a question that I am sure has a very simple answer. I am working on my first maya project after going through several weeks of tutorials and I have found it difficult to move some of my parent groups. For instance I have constructed a deskLamp and when I move the parent object on the desk, the child objets move disproportinately, sometimes moving twice as far as the parent. I got frustrated and unparented everything, reconstructing thie lamp on the desk, but there has to be an easier way than that.
Also, now that the lamp is where I want it, I cant get the spotlight inside of it to move with the IKhandle that actuates the lamp itself. the spot stays fixed while the lampshade moves around.<Thanks for the help;

# 2 26-01-2004 , 04:07 PM
basically what is happening is that maya is applying the move to the parent object and then the child object.

Are the objects grouped or parented together? What you may want to do is unparent everything, move it into position and then free transforms and if you can delete the history. Then parent the objects again. Sometimes it is to do with now you parent the objects together. I've had it before but what I do is test each parenting as I do it and check that it works ok before carrying on.

It's a pain but it works.

Parent the spotlight to the lampshade geometry rather than the IK handle. That should do it

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 3 26-01-2004 , 04:17 PM
Thanks for the help. The advice on the light will come in handy on other ideas I have for moving light sources...

# 4 26-01-2004 , 06:33 PM
The Maya Mountain
Usually deleting history soves this.