Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 31 10-09-2004 , 05:57 AM
And another shot:

Attached Thumbnails

Tzeentch
# 32 10-09-2004 , 08:08 AM
Subscriber
Hey.

I love this - its awesome! I quite like modelling mechanical hard surfaces, I might try one of these, so thanks for the inspiration!

How much do the real models cost roughly?? I'd actually quite like to have a go building one of those too.

LisaG

user added image

# 33 10-09-2004 , 10:17 PM
I think I picked up a Defiler for about $35 (US) on ebay.

LOL..I haven't even painted mine yet....because of a few personal things and the fact that I'd probably have a brain tumor trying to detail all the little surfaces.

Tzeentch
# 34 11-09-2004 , 05:33 PM
Subscriber
first of all.... wow what a awesume model to excually model!! so much detail! very interesting stuff!! I would love to see this one finished...and you are allready good on your way so COOL!
second... eeeh...I allready said it in the first argument lol user added image ......keep it up tho user added image

# 35 13-09-2004 , 05:25 AM
Today's Progress:

The Defiler's Head and "Face":

Attached Thumbnails

Tzeentch
# 36 17-09-2004 , 06:47 AM
Believe it or not....this little tiny thing took me forever..and it's not even perfect---but IT'S CLOSE ENOUGH! 8-)

Attached Thumbnails

Tzeentch
# 37 18-09-2004 , 05:30 AM
I'm not happy with the way this face looks at all... (this being my first attempt at a face)...for some reason, the mesh is waaaaay too thick. Could someone please educate me on how to clean it up and reduce the polycount without losing detail?

Attached Thumbnails

Tzeentch
# 38 19-09-2004 , 11:38 PM
Hi, Its looking really good! user added image

Re: The Head: How did you model the head (Nurbs/Polys)? If thats the poly smooth do you have a pic of the un-smoothed poly mesh?

Cheers,
Trev

# 39 19-09-2004 , 11:57 PM
Subscriber
im guessing that you are building a rough poly cage then doing a poly smooth...your need to be really careful about how you build the surface...stick with quads if you can...stay away from N sided polygons and use triangles only when you have to : ) then when you smooth you should get a better looking mesh..also make sure that your smooth options are correct..you dont want it to smooth it to triangles..

# 40 20-09-2004 , 02:11 AM
Yes, that's what I was doing. I went ahead and just deleted the face, I'm going to attempt to rebuild the face after I get the rest of the top modeled. I'll try to put into practice your suggestions and before I smooth it, I'll put up a unsmoothed polymesh for you guys to C&C.

Tzeentch
# 41 20-09-2004 , 02:19 AM
Subscriber
if you can post the unsmoothed mesh with the wireframe on it : )