Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 04-05-2005 , 04:40 AM

texturing in general

hey guys, i'm working on an animation and needed some help. i'm at that point where i always feel like i'm second guessing myself. I have no problems texturing non organic objects, but when it comes to humanoids, i'm a lil confused. Right now i'm worried about the face, the shoe i have modeled in several pieces, hands (with all of the fingers), and just basically about everything. in the past I usually just slapped a color onto the shirt and pants, and it worked for me. I want to be able to put textures onto the pants, so they look like khakis and a shirt looks like an actaully dress shirt and not just a white look-a-like cotton texture. Usually for example i'll separate the fingers and add a uvw map onto them. Face i'll only texture half of that and since the ear is a separate piece for now, i'll slap a skin like texture on it. Basically i'm just looking for some advice, suggestions, or how you guys go about it. I've read plenty of books, I know this is a very general vague questions, but i'm just trying to figure out how you guys do it and get this second guessing out of my head.

Thanks,
Strytus
Strytus.com
(i'll be asking about rigging questions soon ...lol)