Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 28-06-2005 , 09:17 PM
Subscriber

PEOPLE TELL ME "NOT TO WORRY" !! But the fact is that i cant help.....

Allright everyone, am back, but this time with different "Hue and Cry" !

Actually few days back i posted my f22 model ( which is going to be a part of my demo reel) for some feedback. And more than 60% persons thought that the textures i have used in that model are quite blurry, simple and plane.

I showed that model to one of my new online CG friend, and asked how are the textures. He ended up insulting me by saying that "Dude... if these are what u call as textures, then I AM SORRY, U ARE WASTING UR TIME AND LIFE... read books, see videos...."

I was extremely demotivated by this remark of his. And so i have finally decided to use a completely different set of textures.

So as usual am expecting a great piece of help from out SM members from whom i can hope guide me as to where on internet can i find hi resolution textures for a F22 fighter plane (or any other fighter plane for that matter).

eagerly waiting for reply,
wishes and regards,
Gautam.

# 2 28-06-2005 , 09:39 PM
Subscriber
and this is why feedback on this site are too "nice"

ppl are afraid to hurt other ppl's feelings; if you dont want constructive criticism, and just want ppl to say, "nice start" "looks cool" thats not going to help you much.
if you want to creat high rez textures, u will have to make them yourself, as they are just metal textures,

here is some free textures sites with high rez metal textures.

https://www.3dlinks.com/links.cfm?cat...bcategoryid=94

here are free high rez metal textures:
https://www.mayang.com/textures/Manma...tal/index.html

# 3 28-06-2005 , 10:06 PM

Re: PEOPLE TELL ME "NOT TO WORRY" !! But the fact is that i cant help.....

Originally posted by gautam2000
I showed that model to one of my new online CG friend, and asked how are the textures. He ended up insulting me by saying that "Dude... if these are what u call as textures, then I AM SORRY, U ARE WASTING UR TIME AND LIFE... read books, see videos...."

Rather than be demotivated by comments like these, you should ask him what you could do to improve your textures, why he was so negative with his feedback.

Frankly, his comments are not constructive at all. I would take them with a grain of salt. The comments you should be listening to are those that point out specific things that are wrong with your work and those that offer suggestions on how to fix them.

Also, do not take criticism personally. You have to learn to take a step back from your work and not be so attached to it. If you let it get to you, you will never get anywhere in the industry.

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 4 28-06-2005 , 10:10 PM
Subscriber
!

here is some free textures sites with high rez metal textures.

https://www.3dlinks.com/links.cfm?ca...ubcategoryid=94

here are free high rez metal textures:
https://www.mayang.com/textures/Manm...etal/index.html

These textures are useless to me. They all are corroded,rusted,worn out, dull metal textures. I already have lots of these dumped in my hard drive. .

Am, looking for a properly laid out texture image of a fighter plane in any image format. The one i applied to my f22, i took it from google, and it was one 640x480 jpeg image with texture laid out seperately of wings, cockpit and all the parts (even wheels) but the problem was that it was low res.

I dont have any knowledge of photoshop etc or else i would have made the textures myself

Last edited by gautam2000; 28-06-2005 at 10:13 PM.
# 5 28-06-2005 , 10:14 PM
Subscriber
I think the feedback here is great. In most instances I've received positive feedback and a bucket load of improvements I can make. At the end of the day its really going to be up to you to set your own benchmarks.

So far every model I've made has significantly improved, yet I'm never happy with the final result, because I know I can do better. Earlier this year I made some real crap and I can't believe people were still nice to me user added image

Simply Maya is a tutorial site, which means most users are still learning, that being the case you need to understand the bench mark isn't going to be set that high here, mind you having said that some of the work here is of the highest standard.

For this last challenge I went to the Fly Life (fly fishing) forum to get input on my Trout and unfortunately almost all of the feedback was super positive. I kept on posting and asking questions until they began picking fault after fault. A lot of what they said I didn't like hearing, but it did significantly improve my challenge model.

Your F22 Model, have a look at it and have a look at some real photos and ask yourself if yours looks as real (if real is what your trying to achieve). If not try to work out what's different in the real aircraft.

My suggestion to you is if you believe in yourself and you're improving then keep going.

Best Regards and Good luck.
Paul

# 6 28-06-2005 , 10:15 PM
Subscriber

Frankly, his comments are not constructive at all. I would take them with a grain of salt. The comments you should be listening to are those that point out specific things that are wrong with your work and those that offer suggestions on how to fix them.

Also, do not take criticism personally. You have to learn to take a step back from your work and not be so attached to it. If you let it get to you, you will never get anywhere in the industry.

Very well said. I agree with each and every word of urs with full confidence!

Can u please help me out with the texture problem also ??
thanks.

# 7 28-06-2005 , 10:18 PM
Subscriber
Mr Paul, Ur avatar has an image of a plane with nice textures, am looking for textures like these.... am desperately need to know from where can i find hi res quality textures like these for my F22.

thanks.

# 8 28-06-2005 , 10:38 PM

Am, looking for a properly laid out texture image of a fighter plane in any image format. The one i applied to my f22, i took it from google, and it was one 640x480 jpeg image with texture laid out seperately of wings, cockpit and all the parts (even wheels) but the problem was that it was low res.

I dont have any knowledge of photoshop etc or else i would have made the textures myself

To me, this reads as "I am too lazy to learn anything. Do my work for me." You come off as being very lazy based on what you typed here. I'm sure you are not *that* lazy though. user added image

I would highly recommend learning how to paint and manipulate textures in Photoshop or whatever graphics application you have (Paint Shop Pro, Gimp, etc.). It is a core part of being a 3D artist, and you will not have to rely on others to get your work done.

Also, it probably wouldn't hurt to learn how to build shaders for parts of your plane. Unless you are making a game model, you don't necessarily need image files for all your materials.

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 9 28-06-2005 , 10:46 PM
Subscriber

Mr Paul, Ur avatar has an image of a plane with nice textures, am looking for textures like these.... am desperately need to know from where can i find hi res quality textures like these for my F22.

thanks.

This is the original Thread for my Spitfire. I made the texture using Photoshop. If you're interested in knowing how to do this I would suggest buying the Texturing Tutorial for the Spitfire. Its actually the first time I tried to texture, so the tutorial was very helpful.

I guess being my first attempt its OK considering, but my honest opinion is its crap and I've actually scrapped this texture and plan on starting again.

Cheers
Paul

# 10 28-06-2005 , 11:17 PM
Photoshop is an essential, no matter what aspect of 3D you're interested in....it's a standard tool. You can't expect to find a texture for your plane without having to edit it That's just ridiculous. If your reel is for modeling, don't worry about texturing....just show turntable views and wireframes of your best models. If you want to show off a TD-styled reel (a bit of everything), then you better get cracking on learning to paint and build shader networks.

Regarding criticism, the critique you got was harsh and not helpful. Danny nailed it, though...you should've asked him for specifics. I think the reason folks don't get tons of "professional critiques" here is just that....there are a lot of newbies who are impressed easily or aren't developed enough to notice the difference between good and bad or what can make a model better. That being said, I don't quite get how difficult it is to look at something and realize it may "need work", even if it's your own work....I mean seriously. Look at some high-end 3D work and look at your own...what makes one better than the other? Don't be in such a rush to finish something...take the time to learn, research, and get it right...the wow factor will come later.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 11 29-06-2005 , 12:08 AM
I've been following this thread for some time trying to figure out what kind of textures you are really looking for. I mean, F-22 is not some "fun" plane with a lot of cool stuff painted on it. It is basically a piece of brushed metal with some signs/text here and there.

I googled "F-22" and found tons of images that you could use as reference. Here is just a couple that I thought were a good general reference:

https://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/f-22-991769b.jpg

https://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/a...-0000l-001.jpg

https://www.wallpaper.net.au/wallpape...201024x768.jpg

https://www.milnet.com/pentagon/usaf/f22-paint.jpg

https://www.warchina.com/newimg/f22.jpg

https://www.usu.edu/afrotc/images/f22%202.jpg

https://www.personal.psu.edu/users/c/r/crs247/f-22.jpg

What you should do is make sure that your model is UV mapped in a reasonable way, take a snapshot of the UVs and start playing in PS. I think there was already enough people who pointed out that PS is really an essential tool for texturing.

However, your model is never going to look "real" if you just apply a texture to it. The surface has to react properly to light. First create a shader that will behave like a brushed metal (you can google "brushed metal shader" and you will find a lot of tutorials/shaders that you can use). If you really want it to look real, find out what metal it is made of and create a shader that will be as close as possible to it.

From the images I noticed that it has almost no highlights (or rather VERY soft ones) and the surface diffuses light a lot.

I would start with a blinn shader, give it a grayish-blueish color, make the highlights very soft, and go from there. Once you have your basic shader set up, apply the texture and start tweaking from there.

The resolution of the texture really depends on how close you'll get to your model. If all you want to do are flybys don't worry about a very detailed texture...

Good luck

# 12 29-06-2005 , 01:46 AM
Subscriber

!

They all are corroded,rusted,worn out, dull metal textures. I already have lots of these dumped in my hard drive. .

when you have a bit more knowledge, you will realize that corroded textures are harder to make than perfectly clean textures.

your aircraft would look more appealing if it was not another "perfect-looking" model.

The one i applied to my f22, i took it from google, and it was one 640x480 jpeg image with texture laid out seperately of wings, cockpit and all the parts (even wheels) but the problem was that it was low res.

so your first textures were not even your own?!

you took someones hard work and placed it on your model... and now u ask for help because someone's textures was not high rez enough for u...

:angery: :rant::angery:

thanks.

and now u have the audacity to ask someone else where "he found" his textures...
he did it the hardway buddy... he learned how to make textures.

Last edited by vladimirjp; 29-06-2005 at 01:48 AM.
# 13 29-06-2005 , 01:25 PM
Subscriber
Mr Lookey, ur comments were extremely helpful! i would start working on ur suggestions soon!

Can u suggest me where can i get the "VERY VERY BASIC" tutorials for creating shaders and understanding shading networks in maya??

Whenever i open a well made shader (like a shiny Gold shader) and click on the up and down connections, i see a whole lots of network jumpbled up connecting to each other through some input-output connection which makes my head spin with confusion.

i just want a good resource on net which can teach me the very basic of these shading network and understand the complexity behind it.

waiting for ur reply,
Gautam.

# 14 29-06-2005 , 02:32 PM
The starfighter texturing video on simplymaya looks like it has some brushed metal shader tutorial. I haven't seen it, but just from the pictures the shader looks like something you want.

Email simplymaya and ask them which part covers it and just download that part. But I would suggest buying the whole training kit becuase it seems like it has a lot of stuff that would be useful when texturing F-22

# 15 29-06-2005 , 02:34 PM
oh, and dont call me "Mr" user added image