Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 12-03-2007 , 06:53 AM

Beginner modeling a female head

First of all, The purpose for this thread, is for me being able to see the progress during the making of the head I am modeling.

As I am a beginner I can't exactly give you eye candy user added image
Even if I hope to be able to do so further on in the future.

Though I would be happy for any critics and comments during my process. user added image

Ok. For this head (my first one) I decided to use reference images.

(I am a drawer, however I am bad at drawing freehand without any reference, so the reference is not mine, they were downloaded from fineart.sk) Thanks!

user added image

user added image

I made the head using create polygon tool and then extruding/split it several times.

for now it looks like this:

user added image

Not detailed at all, but I am getting close to get all the basic face features. I will continuing splitting more polygons and clean up the mesh a bit.

Last edited by Sgart; 12-03-2007 at 06:57 AM.
# 2 12-03-2007 , 07:02 AM
Just a comment before you even begin modeling, I wanted to point out that you did a good thing with your side image plane, so that you keep it in mind for the future.

It was a good call to get an image with the hair pulled back away from the side of the head so that you can get a better view of the detail of your reference.

Keep that in the back of your mind in the future, in case you're ever called upon to do something with long hair, or an exotic headdress of some sort (think Padme, Star Wars Episode 1). user added image

# 3 12-03-2007 , 07:44 AM
Yeah I guess so. user added image Also, the artist did draw the scull features before adding the hair (look at side ref. on the back of her head)
Also helps a lot when figuring out where the actual head is supposed to be user added image

# 4 12-03-2007 , 04:21 PM
a cuople of hours later,

Have been splitting it up to more polys and also remade the mouth as I was not satisfied with the last result.

I smoothed before rendering the image.
Unfortunately some triangles were created during the smoothing.
I have ereased some but I have to erease more of them, and reshape some parts of the face.

user added image

# 5 13-03-2007 , 12:48 AM
is there anyway in maya, to erease triangles in some kind of option?

Or do I have to erease them one by one :/ ?

# 6 13-03-2007 , 01:39 AM

Originally posted by Sgart
is there anyway in maya, to erease triangles in some kind of option?

Or do I have to erease them one by one :/ ?

There's an option in edit polygons I think that's called triangulate and another quandragulate, try to use them as a short cut, but I always prefer to do one by one so I can have the effect I want

"One day someone tells me that I was no one, no one is perfect, if God is perfect so I'm God" - No One
# 7 13-03-2007 , 07:52 PM
Hey man, its really starting to come together.

There is an option for quadrangulate but in my experiance of it it can sometimes mess up your flow, so I would suggest trying to clean up your tris manually, that way you have the control over whats happening with your mesh.

Could you post a wireframe for the head so far? Just so that we chan have a look at your edge loops etc.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle