Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 27-01-2007 , 09:31 AM
Subscriber

My computer desk

I've been trying to do a couple of things without using a tutorial, I tried modeling my parents house, been having trouble in spots of that, so i moved onto trying to model a camel for future animation, been having trouble with mainly the legs and feet so then I decided I'd do a model of my desk, it's been a fun project still some work needs to be done. I wish I knew how to texture this because I'd like to actually complete this model.

Here is one render shot:
user added image
Thats before I turned two of those containers see through as you can see I tought myself how to use the blinn feature (after searching the forums) on that box next to the lamp.

Second Render shot:
user added image
Fooled around with some lighting, made the candle glass seethrough Added a wall for the background, a monitor and a lighter next to the candles

Third render shot:
user added image
Just a close up of the previous shot and newly added geometry to the lamp post.

Fourth render shot:
user added image
Added some more lighting with a different color to it, moved the lights around a little bit. Added a keyboard, mouse, mousepad, cpu, and adjusted the size of the actual desk itself.

Any comments or critiques would be greatly appreciated. If you missed my other WIP of the Haunted House tutorial I will mention again that I've done the Franky tutorial which came out like crap and the haunted house. I've only seriously been into maya for about a month, fooled around with the interface for about a month to a month and a half before getting right into it, and this is now my 3rd close-to-beeing-completed project. I'm kind of stuck as to where to go from here, and how to get any further in this.

Last edited by Rhetoric Camel; 27-01-2007 at 09:34 AM.
# 2 27-01-2007 , 02:36 PM
Subscriber
hey rhetoric camel, your desk looks cool soo far but it would look much better if it was in textures etc but your new to maya really soo good start. My opinion would be stop starting a new project when something bad happends! :p you shoudnt really stop, try figure out whats happening and learn from your mistakes... practice makes perfect.

"I'm kind of stuck as to where to go from here, and how to get any further in this."

i reckon since you should do the whole room where your computer desk is in and after modeling everything learn how to texture user added image

when you got some free time could you post your model of your parents house, im thinking about doing my parents house aswell...

Marlon

# 3 28-01-2007 , 05:05 PM
Subscriber
Hey marlon I appreciate the comments
It's not so much that I give up on previous projects it's just I give it a break and move onto something else for a bit and go back and fourth between them. This model though has already gone past what I was going to model of the desk (just the candles and the lamp) but I just felt motivated to try and do all of it.
Once I got as far into this as I got I was contemplating modeling the rest of my room, but I really want to get into texturing badly! I tried to do my haunted house texturing and things just werent coming out right. Any idea of a good texturing tutorial I can find to help self teach myself about this?

Oh and here is the extremely incomplete model of my parents house. Theres something about it thats not right to me, plus I wish I had a few measurements to go by on it.
user added image

# 4 28-01-2007 , 07:22 PM
Simply Maya OG
My fiancee has that same desk!

- Hybrid
# 5 12-03-2007 , 12:48 PM
Subscriber
hey it's been a while since I worked on this, I don't have many progress shots but heres a few.

After laying out the UV's, they weren't the neatest but for my first time it came out alright... how do I get the checker pattern to be smaller than this though?
user added image

First bit of texturing done
user added image

And where I am now
user added image

I am going to redo the uvs so that only a few things are on a snapshot so its less blurry/distorted looking in spots like the monitor, keyboard, and rug

Comments and Critiques are always welcome.

# 6 12-03-2007 , 08:54 PM
Very nice really....no critics to the model, just to the render, it's good but can be better user added image

"One day someone tells me that I was no one, no one is perfect, if God is perfect so I'm God" - No One
# 7 13-03-2007 , 08:11 AM
Subscriber
yeah my rendering skills aren't too high, and don't know the first step to mental ray so every render comes out looking like crap with that, and even maya software render I know nothing about. I barely understand lighting either but enough to get the basics.

I did everything planar mapping and my only UV setup practice I got so far is the one with the low poly grim reaper like character. Laying out the UV's was probably just as time consuming for me as it was modeling it, which modeling I've kinda got the hang of.

Thanks for the comment

# 8 13-03-2007 , 12:01 PM
It's looking good! I like the textures you used.

Sparticus

Expect to excell...