Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 04-08-2007 , 07:09 PM

Skeleton Key

I figure ill try to create a skeleton key while I animate my other project since its pretty repetitive. Ill make a Skull and a spine coming down, with the key parts sticking outward from its spine. A fun little project! Now to start... ill post some updates later, ive just started, thought id make the thread b4 i forget.

Yay, not a freshman anymore!
# 2 04-08-2007 , 07:24 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
We want some renders mate:rant:

# 3 05-08-2007 , 12:10 AM
Haha! here is about 2hrs of work (not including the previous screwup skulls i did b4 i got this one). An unsmoothed Skull!:p Please comments and critz, i want this lookin nice! This thing pissed me off so bad... I redid this about 4times and finally got it right.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by kinddoggofwar; 05-08-2007 at 01:03 AM.
# 4 05-08-2007 , 02:36 AM
the chin looks wrong, like it doesn't protrude enough.

but other than that, i like it alot!

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 5 05-08-2007 , 02:42 AM
thanks! Protrude? Well i did a little work on the chin like 10min ago, is this any better? I also smoothed because i was in the process of adding texture. sry for the quick reply, but you replied as i was replyinguser added image

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by kinddoggofwar; 05-08-2007 at 02:45 AM.
# 6 05-08-2007 , 03:34 AM
nice skull man, looking pretty good. keep it up, can't wait 2 see the final outcome

# 7 05-08-2007 , 03:36 AM
meaning the chin should go forward more, and the chin is a bit to tall too.

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 8 06-08-2007 , 12:38 AM
Thanks backstabbing! Ok joopsin, i fixed the chin and pulled an all nighter... well i went to bed at 3, but i meant to pull an allnighter! This is the skeleton key. VERY old, tarnished, and rusted. Detailed as much as a skeleton key can be (will detail the skull a bit more). The key of keys! So old that all signs of sparkle, shininess, or beauty has passed, possibly from the darkest depths of the ocean. Thats the look i was going for. Please let me know if I hit it!
user added image
user added image

# 9 06-08-2007 , 06:21 AM
you hit it user added image

looks great, too bad that the images go from 'just the skull' to 'the finished key'. I would have loved to see the progress and some wires (which I'd still like to see:p )

anyway, great job modelling and texturing it user added image

...but that was when I ruled the world
# 10 06-08-2007 , 07:29 AM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
If you fished the key from the bodem of the ocean, i think it could use a bit of rust and some more green tints(you know make it more dirty).
You can probably add some more cracks in his skull.
Also when it comes to lighting with spotlights make use of the linear decay funcytion (you should up the intensity to about 20-30, depending on the distance) and make the penumbra angle to about 5 and the coneangle to 35.
And give the light a dropoff(also depending on the distance)
And only make one light cast shadows (but this also depends on the scenery where the key is placed)
The model seems to be floating, you can also change the scenery ,to like a cave or something, to bring out the model some more.
And in the end an occlusion-pass to bring out the details

I know this was a bit long, but it's all with the best intentionsuser added image

# 11 06-08-2007 , 09:08 AM
I agree with mastone. Needs some orangy brown rust.

Visit www.Notice-Board.co.nz for FREE online classifieds, notices and ads in your area!!
# 12 06-08-2007 , 11:54 AM
Thanks alot for the comments! Ill start adding some rust, and detail/crack the skull a bit. Ive fixed the floating problem and double shadows. Im going to model a small box, like a jewel box behind it. Ill try to add something supernatural looking to it. But id like to get this looking perfect first! Heres the unsmoothed wires! Its a very basic model.

user added image
user added image

# 13 06-08-2007 , 04:30 PM
Still not completely done the skull, and in this scene Yes the key is floating, forgot to save when i fixed it before... but heres something im working on. Still needs loads and loads of detail and not near finished, but you can get the idea im going for! Im going to add rust in photoshop, i have a rust texture instead of my present one, but it doesnt look as good.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by kinddoggofwar; 06-08-2007 at 04:34 PM.
# 14 06-08-2007 , 11:48 PM
Heres a little with some rust. Let me know how to fix it because it looks like crap.user added image
user added image

Last edited by kinddoggofwar; 07-08-2007 at 01:37 AM.
# 15 07-08-2007 , 01:32 AM
Subscriber
Great idea, very creative ... love the finished product user added image