Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 10-07-2008 , 04:14 AM
Level 32 pachyderm

Damn you NHS

Im gonna kill the NHS
As you may know my thumb is possibly broken, so today i went in to hospital for a check up.
now ive been managing for a week with just a bandage but today they decided to put it in a cast

now from what i can gather is down to poor communication, i ended up with MY WHOLE SODDING ARM IN A CAST! im going on holiday and this will ruin it

my mum is a nurse and she says they should have only done it to my wrist, its just all pointless for a thumb

<end rant>

sorry for that

# 2 10-07-2008 , 04:47 AM
I remember when a kid at school broke his thumb and he had a full cast to the elbow (like you would if you broke your arm), must be something with the doc you get... Or maybe its changed??

As for being pissed off with the NHS, well, lets see, without it you would have had to have paid a vast sum for that cast, any flu, colds, disease, operations etc etc that you or your family have had or needed medication for again a vast sum to pay, so be glad of the NHS.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 3 10-07-2008 , 05:35 AM
I'm in America, but I remember when my little brother was but a wee tot (like 6 or 7) he broke his finger and only needed a splint, but he kept taking it off so they ended up giving him a cast to his armpit so he would stop messing with it O.o

And Ha, ha. You have a welfare state =p

~I have no idea what I'm doing~
# 4 10-07-2008 , 06:01 AM

Originally posted by Ajmooch
And Ha, ha. You have a welfare state =p

yeah - cos America has a health care system you could die for -that's why the US spends more than everyone else and has a shittier system.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=FOCpOZ4txvs

Last edited by arran; 10-07-2008 at 06:05 AM.
# 5 10-07-2008 , 06:14 AM
Level 32 pachyderm

Originally posted by gster123

As for being pissed off with the NHS, well, lets see, without it you would have had to have paid a vast sum for that cast, any flu, colds, disease, operations etc etc that you or your family have had or needed medication for again a vast sum to pay, so be glad of the NHS.

Its actually the first thing ive needed to go in for
the only thing i personally got from the nhs
at the moment (if we work on the priciple that i have paid taxes all my life and everyone pays the same amount) i have paid more than i have gained (at least comparied to most other people)

my whole family has done better than most so in a way we have lost from the nhs

and now youre all going to go against me and ill look like a pric....again

:blush:

# 6 10-07-2008 , 09:11 AM
I thought you were in school so what taxes do you pay?

Also how do you know that your going to be in fine health all your life? bit of a gamble dont you think? You also mentioned that your mums a nurse, hence taxes that you and your family pay pretty much means it pays her wages (unless she's in a private hospital, but then again the NHS will probably send people there for treatment etc, so theres still overhead)

Some things are frustrating, but at least you've got it sorted and checked out and fixed, regardless of if the cast is a little big, no need for a rant at all.

# 7 10-07-2008 , 09:20 AM
Level 32 pachyderm
I am in school, hence this sentance "if we work on the priciple that i have paid taxes all my life......"
Im just saying if i were paying taxes i would have lost so far

its just annoying that they didnt do anything about my thumb when it was painful but they go OTT when its settled down

the really annoying think is they didnt do my thumb proparly, i can still move it, it could still get bent back ect

sorry, ive been doing work experience at a vets for two weeks and the service for animals i so much better. ok you have to pay for it but.......

# 8 10-07-2008 , 09:37 AM
But you've not paid taxes, so you've not lost anything, in fact as you've NOT paid anything, you owe, so you've got no complaint, if you were 80 and it was your first time using the NHS than maybe.

I've never been in hospital, and ive paid taxes all my WORKING life (when you actualy do pay taxes) so i could say that the system owes me, but i'm not to good on the crystal ball so i'm not going to complain as I dont know whats going to happen.

Be glad its there for when you need it.

As you say you get better service at a vets, but you pay for it, samething with a private hospital, maybe go there???

# 9 10-07-2008 , 12:13 PM
Subscriber
I probably would have just delt with it being broken, like I did when I broke my pinky toe, I didn't cast it or splint it or anything, just let it heal, I probably would have done the same with the thumb, unless it was a severe break that needed to be snapped back into place and set in a cast to keep it from moving at all.

Sorry to hear about the thumb though, broken bones suck

P.S. Yes, american healthcare system and hospitals totally suck. I hate them. 10 years of working and still not get health insurance can really start to piss a person of. I did just finally get healthcare but only certain doctors will accept it around here and they only cover, I believe, $1,000 a year. Which from my point of view is not a lot at all...

Last edited by Rhetoric Camel; 10-07-2008 at 12:24 PM.
# 10 10-07-2008 , 04:58 PM
Subscriber
i'm getting the impression that health care systems everywhere suck

am i the only one who has to look up what NHS is and getting bizzare results from Google?
https://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en...e%3A+NHS&meta=

i went to the thingy once... i dunno what its called, my ears don't hear strange pronounciations... A-N-E a-and-e? i dunno.... something to do with accidents and emergencies (i THINK)

and it was because i got me a hole in my chin for doing push ups :attn:

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 11 10-07-2008 , 09:21 PM
Super Moderator

Originally posted by Chirone

...and it was because i got me a hole in my chin for doing push ups :attn:

I would actually love to hear how that happened lol

- Genny
# 12 10-07-2008 , 09:32 PM
Subscriber
it will cost you... :p

what it will cost, i have no idea...
but whatever it is it would be some unreasonable price :p

so i'll just tell... just cuz i feel like telling about it

i was doing push ups and i was doing them on my knuckles... easy stuff (i can do them on finger tips and a few on three fingers per hand... but only like... 3 or 4 before i give up...)

so i decided to make it a little harder by doing the jumping push ups... you know where you do a push up, jump and clap?

so i do that... on my knuckles... and i dont get my hands back down in time...

wooden floor comes up and BANG!!

ooowwww.... wiggle my chin around to make sure i can still move it.. and i can, its fine...

then i wipe it with my hand and all this blood appears on it...user added image

turns out there's this hole in my chin and the blood wont stop coming out...
so i get taken to the accident and emergency place after having some steri-strips put on it by my friend's mum
the emergency people glued it shut and stuck more steri-strips on it

sometime later i got me a scar on my chin user added image

i've decided if im going to hospital or anything like that, it would have to be for some bizzare reason...

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 13 11-07-2008 , 01:57 AM
Level 32 pachyderm

Originally posted by Rhetoric Camel
I probably would have just delt with it being broken, like I did when I broke my pinky toe, I didn't cast it or splint it or anything, just let it heal, I probably would have done the same with the thumb, unless it was a severe break that needed to be snapped back into place and set in a cast to keep it from moving at all.

thats what i wanted to do but what annoyes me is that i had no choice, they just did it without asking me,
if it were up to me id have left it