Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 46 17-11-2003 , 05:45 AM
Subscriber
You can actually find some decent references, but you tend to need to search for vetinary ones I think - I was going from memory and an anatomical reference section in a studbook lol.

I see your point; when you put the model at the angle in those pics the sheath looks different. However in the other one it looked a bit, shall we say, peculiar.

I think if you perhaps lessened the dividing crease in the testicular part it might assist it in having a more horsey look- it's just when you have the horse in the final renders I should think you will want to have it standing up rather than upside down and a little more subtlety in that crease might help it look more horse like.

Unless you have a close up of it in glorious technicolour now LOL.

I think the sheath looks a tad oversized, as your horse is quite slight, lacking the breadth of girth, of what one would think of as a typical stallion build for example, so it might be tempting to make the sheath a little smaller, to be more in proportion. In the pic you attached the horse has much greater depth from withers to girth etc.

It really does come to something when you have to have a horse nudity warning in your thread user added image

# 47 17-11-2003 , 05:48 AM
The Maya Mountain
Have you guys seen the fairly recent animated movie with the horses... can't recall the name off hand... but they managed to get away with not showing the horsies' naughty bits. user added image Can't we do the same? lol

I'm just kidding with you. If you really feel you need it... fine by me.

# 48 17-11-2003 , 05:54 AM
Subscriber
If nothing else this did really make me laugh. Of all the things you think you will end up discussing on the net......

Perhaps the horse could wear little shorts? Or, in keeping with the sci fi theme, have bionic naughty bits LOL. :bgreen:

# 49 17-11-2003 , 06:07 AM
I'm staying out of it, the model is looking good so far pony=)

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 50 17-11-2003 , 06:24 AM
Subscriber
LOL@Mike.

Witchy. Cool. I will take note of it about the size difrence. I'll be looking for more sutable size refrence in that departemtn. Becouse Arwen's horse is bilt like this one pritty much. Of corse there was on really good side or frontal shots of the horse becouse he's twisting and moving in the movie for the hole time he is pictrued.. I tryed to composit the orthos with bits and peaces from difrent poses he was in..

# 51 17-11-2003 , 06:27 AM
Subscriber
Bionic naughty bits !!!LOL ahahhahahahaaa.. I love it..

Thanks Kurt !!!!!! that means something from you.. Your a great modeler.

Oh yeah Witchy, good point about the crease, and I guess I will still be tweaking a bit for a while with the size and proportion of things. Sometimes things look a bit different after you get things textured and furred. Also my views could be shot from a bit lower than normal anyway. I mean a lot of them are from about the height of the lower back. When normally there taken from about even with the height of the head.

Last edited by Pony; 17-11-2003 at 06:34 AM.
# 52 17-11-2003 , 06:36 AM
Subscriber
Coming on extremly well Pony!
Wobly bits and all user added image

Seriously, your mesh is fantastic, keep up the good work!

# 53 17-11-2003 , 06:44 AM
Pony post a wire in its lowest form of the legs where they join the main body bud... I want to get a better look at the geomerty in that area. The sub-d looks a bit high in those spots.

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

# 54 17-11-2003 , 07:37 AM
Subscriber
Kurt hear it is. Low Poly which is ware I keep it. I model from hear and just smooth poly to see the results, undo and go on with what I'm doing. Gotten pritty good at tweeking with out seeing it's smoothed results. So its bean in Poly the hole time. I don't use the subD's although they are nice.

The model, befor I started working on the bionic leg, mirrored so its complet just needing smothing. Was at 2000 faces. The tryangle count so be pritty close to 2 times that as I have tryed to keep my polys all Quad.

Hope this is the views you were hopeing for. No problem to put up more if you want to see like the inside of the legs.

Attached Thumbnails
# 55 17-11-2003 , 07:43 AM
Subscriber
Oh yeah Kurt. the reson the Geo is so high ware the legs conect to the body is I wanted to leave plunty of geo for skin streaching as I think a horse has a lot of that. And I might have over estimated how much will be needed once the horse is animated but Its just a gess. Haven't animated much befor.

I might have gone a bit to dence in the back and face.

Also the smothed verstions of the horse you have seen are with only 1 on the subdivision level.

# 56 17-11-2003 , 01:24 PM
Subscriber
I'm really racking my brain trying to come up with something cool for the bionic leg. Thought I needed some refrence to work with as I dodle in photoshop. It looked pritty cool so I thought I would share it.

Attached Images
# 57 18-11-2003 , 05:59 AM
Subscriber
Well I haven't really shown much progress in the last 3 days.. its bean becouse I was figering out how to do some things.. with animating textures, rigging etc.. just to see how elaberat I wanted to make the bionic's on the leg.. I'v started with the bones that will be there.. thought I would show a render just to give a little idea of the direction I'm starting to go.

Attached Thumbnails
# 58 18-11-2003 , 06:19 AM
Its not to bad bud.... Once you do a few test binds you will see how its going to move.

# 59 18-11-2003 , 07:04 AM
marvolous wire frames Pony... is that a new feature in Maya 5?.. (srry,... did have time to keep myself updated... hmmm...) and overall... your skills... ummm... uuhh... just Beyond!!! keep up your awesome work!!!

# 60 18-11-2003 , 03:30 PM
Subscriber
Hay there Lsphinx !!! happy you found that I was back. No its just 4.5 .. thanks for the comments.. I really appreciate it !!

ok.. well I thought I had better see if I could get some of the metal bits to work right.. so I decided to bone the horse. Hear is a short animation. of the bionic leg bending. Its just the mettle bones at the moment so don't get to excited..

Attached Files
File Type: zip ankneetest.[0001-0095]b.zip (192.8 KB, 145 views)

Last edited by Pony; 18-11-2003 at 04:12 PM.