Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 13-04-2004 , 03:57 PM

Pod Car

Hello all. I'm working on what I am calling a track pod.
It's a car that runs on a track line suspended above the ground.
The modeling is pretty much done. I haven't really textured anything all that much. I'm looking for help on where to start.
As you can imagine the pod is going to be metal. I want it to look old and used. So a rough metal, pretty photo realistic. I may pay a visit to the local junk yard with my digital camera.

So what kind of UV mapping do I use?
Do I just select faces then map them using a specific UV mapping?
Can I somehow map the entire object?

I don't want it to look tiled or boring. Any help to get going would be awesome.
Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 13-04-2004 , 04:02 PM
Here's a wire. Oh in case you are curious I'm making this in Maya 5.0 Complete. This is for a "Myst" fan project a couple friends of mine and I are doing to help us learn Maya and also because we just love 3d and the original Myst series of games.

You can check out our project at www.tsahno.com

# 3 13-04-2004 , 04:04 PM

OOOPs forgot to attach the wire

Sorry forgot to attach the wire.

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 13-04-2004 , 04:33 PM
Looks nice, mtmckinley has a uv maping tut on his website you could learn from.

# 5 13-04-2004 , 05:01 PM
Awesome thanks.

# 6 13-04-2004 , 05:09 PM
why dont you harden up the edges a bit by adding cuts and extrides to stop the smoothing going so over the top, e.g. looking at the hole that the wire runs through...

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 7 13-04-2004 , 06:20 PM
I see what you mean. I'll definately do that. I also plan on adding some more defined edges to the piece that is holding the front track. At the moment it just looks like it's floating out there.
By the way I just watched mtmckinley's texture tutorial.
Very helpfull. I'll finish the modeling and begin cutting it up and mapping it tonight.
One question: I am going to need to make the inner shell of the pod and the outer shell seperate objects for mapping right? There isn't any way correctly map them together is there?

I'm already planning on seperating all the components out. Like the links in the track, the wheels in the track, etc...

# 8 14-04-2004 , 05:31 PM

update

I worked on some of the geometry last night but couldn't resist getting started on the texture.
Here is a REALLY quick and dirty render of the pod with a painted texture on the majority of the outer shell.
What i've done is segment the pod into sections that I thought would map well.
I worked on the outer shell last night. I got the best results with a planar map then saved a uv snapshot out, opened the snapshot in photoshop and went to work.

Yet to come is the bump, spec, and dirt maps and of course texturing the rest of the model.

# 9 14-04-2004 , 05:34 PM

sorry

posted too big of image before so I deleted it. the smaller one is here: user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 10 14-04-2004 , 05:54 PM
I haven't played Myst, so I don't know what those looked like in the game, but I think yours looks kinda weird because there is so much detail on the top but no details in the body. Maybe you can add something to the body, like seams and hinges, to give more detail. I imagine you can probably do that with textures.

There can not be Good without Evil, so then it must be good to be Evil sometimes.

:tup:
# 11 14-04-2004 , 07:35 PM
NightPhantom: Thanks for the C&C. They are always welcome.
I've thought of putting in some misc tech details. Right now I want to focus on texturing. I'll see if I can add some other details later.