Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 21-09-2007 , 07:31 PM

extremely new user

Hi,

I want to help myself into a new direction in life and as I am interrested in drawing thought that modelling items should be interresting.

I however have no background so will have to learn the basics from the ground up.

Where do I start?

I have gotten hold of a VERY old version of MAYA at a yardsale. It actually works. But I am baffled by what I see at this stage.user added image

Directions please would be appreciated.

# 2 21-09-2007 , 07:56 PM
Jr.Who
Hey jannas,

What version of Maya do you have?

Since you’re new to Maya, I’d recommend checking out as many of the the free tutorials on this site as you can. Also, the help files (F1) will answer a lot of your questions.

Welcome to the SM forum.
user added image

# 3 21-09-2007 , 08:08 PM

I managed to get hold of Maya 4.5. Wish I could get hold of a newer version but this was cheap and I will have to start off with it to see if I will be able to support myself with the end results.

# 4 21-09-2007 , 08:33 PM
Jr.Who

Re: newbie

Originally posted by jannas
I managed to get hold of Maya 4.5. Wish I could get hold of a newer version but this was cheap and I will have to start off with it to see if I will be able to support myself with the end results.

4.5? I think most of the tuts here are for 6.0. Why don’t you just get the 8.5 PLE?

# 5 21-09-2007 , 08:54 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
I agree with jr who it doesn't make sense to learn an outdated package in this highly competitive industry.
And don't expect to create high end stuff in the beginning or even understand half of the things you are doing when you follow a tutorial.
So don't expect you"ll be making a living with it anytime soon......

.......welcome by the way

# 6 21-09-2007 , 10:15 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Indeed I agree...By all means get a newer version of Maya but beware: dont expect to learn everything. Because Maya is a very deep piece of kit to learn. Take your time, learn the basics and then look at the areas that appeal to you most and concentrate on that.

Cheers
Jay

# 7 21-09-2007 , 10:58 PM
Thank you forthe advice.

But there are a few factors that you obviously do not know.
1. I stay in a country where work is extremely scarce.
2. Money is not something you throw away unless you are sure you can get something in return.
3. I am unemployed.
4. I am using a friends computer for this internet access as I do not have that facility.

So although I would like to have a better version I can not afford it until I am sure that I want to go in this direction. I think it is referred to as a "primer"

Thank you and lets see what happens.

# 8 21-09-2007 , 11:20 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
I have to be quite honest with you on this; 3d work is hard to find in any country...And if you have talents that are more developed than your 3d skills i would if i were you find a job in that area of expertise, whilest learning maya with a ple version in your free time.
I for instance was until recently working as a carpenter and for the past 3 years i learnt maya in my spare time when i could find the time and i'm still completely in the dark about certain things.
So find a more realistic job for the time being and if you want it do maya in your sparetime.....
Just out of interest where are you from?

# 9 21-09-2007 , 11:56 PM
I am from the previously disadvantaged group here in South Africa.

I am a security guard out of necessity and thanks to one of my supervisors I am slowly trying to better myself. He tutors me in all my off time. Often to his detrement. Payrate is very low for guards in South Africa.

# 10 22-09-2007 , 02:46 AM
Jr.Who

Originally posted by jannas

2. Money is not something you throw away unless you are sure you can get something in return.

The PLE is free.

# 11 22-09-2007 , 06:14 AM
I started with Maya 4 many moons ago. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the current versions but does have the basic tools for poly modeling, lighting, rendering, writing expressions, animating, etc. If possible, see if you can pickup a cheap used copy of Maya 4 Fundamentals from new riders. That's what I started with and it will get you up and running pretty quickly.

The biggest downside to having an old version is not being able to follow certain tutorials that use newer features or being able to open newer sample scenes but at least you'll be able to produce without the watermark of PLE.

I disagree with most on here that you need the latest and greatest for learning how to model. You can download Maya PLE like "who" suggested if you want this. Otherwise, use 4 and hone your sculpting skills and look for some older scripts to help on highend3d. Folks forget that Maya 4 was used in quite a few pipelines for major pictures back then.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 12 22-09-2007 , 11:01 AM
Subscriber
my two cents worth.., there is no country where people throw money away.

one person says something..'??'

three people say something.., 'listen.'

you will not be 'supporting yourself with maya' for at least another three years (and thats only is you use maya everyday, take note of what Jay said, theres a lot under the bonnet and its too big for one person) so the maya PLE version wont hurt.., and if you want to do renders for friends.., use maya 4. In the meantime, start saving, because/or, maybe more 'cheap' versions of maya will show up??

download a copy of maya PLE for Alias, download the free tuts from here using your friends computer user added image :bandit:

now you wont have time to work as a security guard, but then again, your unemployed too.., how does that work.., sound a sleight of hand user added image but whatever?!

take it easy and life will be easy