Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 46 04-11-2008 , 09:14 PM
19 year Veteran
Thats a tough call DJbLAZER. I really think it depends on the person and how much he knows the tools. A photoshop expert with no drawing skills could very well learn how to draw after a couple weeks or months. He would at least know how to use the brushes.

Of course this is just my own opinion.

# 47 04-11-2008 , 09:21 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Interesting point here. Ive met seriously good 3d vfx artists who just cannot draw for toffee. Maybe something gets lost in translation or if they were given time perhaps they would kick arse.

I think if you are a good artist (traditional) it helps in any form of art especially as the basic principles would be there to begin with. So then to be trained on say Ps or painter would become another medium in which to express yourself artistically, a bit like water color then switching to oils or gouache

Jay

# 48 04-11-2008 , 10:00 PM
19 year Veteran

Interesting point here. Ive met seriously good 3d vfx artists who just cannot draw for toffee. Maybe something gets lost in translation or if they were given time perhaps they would kick arse.

Man, this too tough to be for certain. People have different learning curves. One could look at something once or twice and get it, while the other may have to go over and over many times before the get it.

# 49 05-11-2008 , 04:52 AM
Well a nudge in the right direction never hurt anyone...

_J

# 50 05-11-2008 , 02:34 PM
i'm definitely with djblazer on this one. there are works that i see that might look great on first glance, but when you start to really look at them, they fall apart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tkf8...eature=related

this piece is a perfect example. on the surface it looks alright, but when you compare it to the original it just falls apart - the forehead and eyes are too far back, the nose is off, the lower half of the face has no structure - no chin, no variation on the jaw.

lots of tools, but at the end of the day it falls apart.

# 51 05-11-2008 , 04:36 PM
It is way off in areas but still a magnificent effort, and guaranteed to probably get a job somewhere

Jay

# 52 05-11-2008 , 09:00 PM
19 year Veteran
Fantastic link arran; however, this example doesn't justify the case in point. The artist in the link all ready has great drawing skills and good knowledge with the tools he worked with. We don't even know how much experience he has, or what his intension's were for the piece he worked on.

The point of all this is how much time does somebody need to paint with great quality. I still say it depends on the person and how well he knows the tools. I have been into 2D art ever since I was a kid, and it took me a couple of years to learn photoshop without any help.

You gotta have tools to make Art, and if you don't have the tools, how are are you going to make the art, and knowing the tools is the most important part of it all. You don't just jump into something if you don't know what your doing. Same thing applies to 3D modeling and ect...

Of course this is just my own opinion.

# 53 06-12-2008 , 06:10 AM
19 year Veteran
Sorry for the long delay, been having more PC problems lately. Had to replace a new power supply that went bad and a hard drive. But know that I'm back up, I have finally been able to complete the Jessica painting. I didn't save any progress pics; however, I did it in such a way where you can see how it was done for the most part. I smoothed out everything quite a bit and did a bit of lightening. I also wanted to get creative and decided to show off some of the line art. I also made a custom back ground to compliment the subject. I am also a pretty big fan of Drew Struzan so I tried to see if I could do something similar to his style.

Anyway, let me know what you think.

Last edited by THX1138; 05-12-2010 at 10:10 PM.
# 54 06-12-2008 , 07:12 AM
Subscriber
i was wondering what happened to this thread :p

sucks about the hardware issues

but dude.... that hair is AWESOME :bow:

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 55 06-12-2008 , 07:27 AM
19 year Veteran
Cheers Chirone, glad you like it!! user added image That hair was a nightmare apart from the hard ware issues. I wont be doing detail on that large of a scale again for a long while. Almost got completely burnt out on working on it because of that.

Anyway, I am extremely happy with how it turned out. Also I forgot to fix the eye that Arran pointed out, sorry arran.

# 56 06-12-2008 , 07:34 AM
good job THX!

yeah it certainly has a Drew Struzan style, just like the Star wars posters

Jay

# 57 06-12-2008 , 07:39 AM
19 year Veteran
Cheers Jay, that means alot to me!! user added image

# 58 06-12-2008 , 09:47 AM
Super Moderator
I was wondering what happened to this as well. Good to see that you finished it and I think it came out absolutely fantabulous user added image

- Genny
# 59 06-12-2008 , 09:55 AM
yeah - this is looking really nice mate - well done! user added image

sorry to hear about the computer problems tho. not good.

# 60 06-12-2008 , 10:33 AM
19 year Veteran
Cheers GecT and arran!! user added image Thanks for the fantabulous comments!!