Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 01-01-2009 , 03:14 PM
Subscriber

scene moved to different pc- way of quickly loading textures

hi all,
I have about 5 scenes I'd like to render but its taking forever if I let just one pc do it all. So I wanna move a couple scenes to another computer and speed things up a bit. the problem is that it's taking forever to relocate all the texture nodes cause the drive and folder names are all different so I gotta go over each one and relocate them. I was wondering if there was an easier way to do this. maybe a way of saving the scene(on the original pc) in a special way that brought all the textures to one folder(since they are spreadout everywhere on my pc) and when you re-open it on another computer they are all nicely loaded or somthng. anyone have any ideas?
thanks

# 2 01-01-2009 , 03:53 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
You"ll only have to use the maya project set up for this.
Create a new project and use all defaults you just have to be very strict about where you put your sourceimages and textures( so no more placing stuff on the desktop ok? LOL)
This way you"ll have all your files in one handy folder...user added image

# 3 01-01-2009 , 04:44 PM
Subscriber
yeah, what mastone said...

if you have been using the Maya project manager then you wouldn't have any problems

but i assume you have a giant folder for all the textures and that folder isn't anywhere in your project heirarchy and you just linked the textures from that adress

you should be copying over the texture to the sources folder in the maya project (the default adress that maya will look when you hit the file texture button), you will end up duplicating textures on your computer but surely space isn't an issue right?

(if this is an incoherrant post then it's because of the loud snails drying up the water distracting me)

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D