Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 04-12-2010 , 09:02 AM
Lifetime Member

Normals Funkyness

K I've had this problem for awhile. I'm going to annoy a lot of people if I start a new thread for every hiccup I have, and I hiccup regularly - Dave, perhaps a 'Help Me Fix This' section/thread?? Tho if lots of people post problems then theres random replies. A single thread'd get messy fast?

Anyway...

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 04-12-2010 , 09:09 AM
Lifetime Member
So... those faces normals are all facing the right way, but reversing them individually (twice) is the only way I've found to fix them. On this fence section there are 42 faces around the interior between each strut showing oddly. Plus teh two on the top. Before I manually fix these Thought I'd post a pic to see if theres either. A way to not CAUSE the problem, or to fix it more easily?

# 3 04-12-2010 , 09:36 AM
The thin red line
Try using polygons,normals,conform..................dave

# 4 04-12-2010 , 09:52 AM
Lifetime Member
Thx but no : (
Just discovered also that nearly EVERY face I split to create the internal bars is funky, some just don't jump out as much as others user added image

Anyway AS I edited this post I found a Solution...(after days looking online I finally ask in a thread and then in 20 mins work it out myself....) played with soft hard edges. Doesnt seem to matter whether they are all soft or all hard, but somehow when I used the split poly tool I gave my mesh a mix.

Have alot of these fences in my WIP.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by 3dStudent; 04-12-2010 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Didnt want to make another post.
# 5 04-12-2010 , 02:31 PM
The Maya Mountain
You usually will need to adjust your normals after creating a complex object that requires a lot of geometry additions.

# 6 04-12-2010 , 03:10 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
One of two things:

under the normals tab: Set vertex normals (unlock) and also try set to face
_J