Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 20-05-2003 , 09:39 AM
Subscriber

Rendering -Alpha Channel and Adobe After Effects!

I have a strange problem! I render an image from Maya, with checked Alpha Channel,save it as tga (for having the alpha), and when i open it in Adobe After Effects its says it hasn't an alpha channel! but when i open it with Photoshop it has! does anybody know why?

Also, doesn't rendered scenes as video have alpha channels?
'
Hope u can help!

Ioannis KarAvas
# 2 20-05-2003 , 12:28 PM
How are you importing the file? I just tried importing a maya .iff file with an alpha straight (unmatted), double-clicked it, and cycled through the channel icons at the bottom of the footage window and the alpha channel shows up just fine.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."

Last edited by NitroLiq; 20-05-2003 at 12:33 PM.
# 3 20-05-2003 , 03:04 PM
Yep, Nitro got it...

I think what may have happened, is that when you first IMPORT some footage into After Effects, it will/should ask you if you want to interperet the footage as:
Straight (unmatted), Matted (with alpha), OR, Best Guess.

There is ALSO a small option IN YOUR PREFS to ALWAYS use one of those settings, thus, ALWAYS assuming that your footage DOES, or DOES NOT have an alpha, and it will NEVER promt youuser added image

When this happens, all of your imported footage from that moment on, is imported with whatever were the last settings you used.

You can change this by going to FILE > PREFERENCES > IMPORT options (I thinkuser added image

Here is an image with the drop-down box that you should look at that has the setting that you should change to "ASK USER" user added image

Hope we helped!

Attached Thumbnails

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 4 20-05-2003 , 03:37 PM
Rage you suck! lol jk, i was just about to say the same thing, then I scrolled down, and saw your reply user added image user added image You rule
Later,
Brian

Please check
My (old) website!
# 5 20-05-2003 , 03:40 PM
BTW, you have to make sure this is checked in your render globals as well....

one of these ideas should solve your problem. user added image (hopefully mine) jk user added image

Attached Thumbnails

Please check
My (old) website!
# 6 20-05-2003 , 06:55 PM
Dam! YOU beat me to THAT one! hehe...

Yeah, you gotta make sure that you cover all of your bases, by checking the most likely things before you start to throw things at you monitoruser added image (like I do.. hehe... j/k )

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com