Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 09-05-2012 , 01:22 PM

How to model these Shoe Laces easier?

Hi,
I have been working on a character for a while. I am doing the shoe laces on these boots. The process i follow is, create different short curves several times, and extrude a circle face along the curve. I tried to do a single curve for the whole lace, but it got complicated moving the control vertex points after a while and it got harder. So i decided to make several different shorter curves. Actually i think this is better bec. i got rid of the unseen parts which stay inside the mesh.

But wondering, is there a better and faster way to make the laces?

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 09-05-2012 , 03:31 PM
Lifetime Member
youtube.com/watch?v=miA4VTOyku8

You can create a curve and shape it to the shoes lace, then nurb extrude it and you'll get the path.

Or

You can just create parts of the lace and duplicate it around, since on the holes you can't see the laces on the back.

Also, your polys seems to be to heavy and you need to retopology your shoes.
I would recreate the base mesh of the shoes and modeled it in Maya. Then for fine details create a normal / displacement map.

user added image

Last edited by cgisoul; 09-05-2012 at 03:35 PM.
# 3 09-05-2012 , 03:47 PM
Thanks. I tried a different method. and finished the thing in 2 curves. 1 curve gets complicated while replacing the points on the holes of the shoe. So i finished it with 2 curves. alot more easier.

I am currently on zbrush, so still theres some polish work left on the shoe. I am planning to get normal map later on after retop... Just wanted to get the laces to work on the metal rings around holes..

# 4 09-05-2012 , 04:22 PM
Ready for zbrush !

Attached Thumbnails