Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 31 10-03-2011 , 10:54 PM
Subscriber
Mastone: yeah, I guess we do have to either hate or like something to actually pay attention to it and then notice stuff about it. He did look the same in sweeny todd though

bullet: dunno what you're talking about user added image

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 32 10-03-2011 , 11:10 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon

# 33 13-03-2011 , 07:47 PM
Finally had time to build the rest of the body( read stopped delaying on the hands feet user added image ), if anyone is wondering why I build the entirebody, it's basically for practice

Attached Thumbnails
# 34 13-03-2011 , 10:29 PM
roughed in the clothes, will refine some more tomorrow, I have done some polyhair, but don't think I will go for that

Attached Thumbnails
# 35 14-03-2011 , 09:42 PM

Attached Thumbnails
# 36 14-03-2011 , 09:56 PM
Subscriber
that looks great - love the coat. did they change the coat throughout the movies? i remember it beeing almost floorlength. great progress user added image

# 37 14-03-2011 , 09:57 PM
Level 32 pachyderm

Galaxt Quest?? LOL everyone has seen that havent they...LOL

Never give up; never surrender!

# 38 14-03-2011 , 10:27 PM

that looks great - love the coat. did they change the coat throughout the movies? i remember it beeing almost floorlength. great progress user added image

Thanks and no as far as I know they haven't changed it, he generally wears a ( strange) overcoat/cape over this , which does drape over the floor.
I will watch the movie again to see how that thing is pieced together, if someone knows what it is called( the strange overcoat thingy), please let me know user added image

# 39 14-03-2011 , 10:55 PM
EduSciVis-er
A robe? More specifically. A wizards robe user added image

# 40 14-03-2011 , 11:22 PM
Subscriber
I put on my robe and wizard hat

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 41 15-03-2011 , 12:23 PM
Subscriber
mastone, you are right. the coat underneath is only knee length. the over long thingy that looks like a dress but not as bad as ron's dress in hp4 - is long enough to dust the floor. it appears to have a few slits for individual leaves (??) of fabric. looks complicated as hell.

you probably seen this:
user added image
and this:
user added image

or another one - does not look like it would fly as it does in the movie, maybe he got differnent over coats depending on the effect the scene has to have user added image
user added image

# 42 23-07-2011 , 08:38 PM
Well have been fiddling with this one again ( redid the head -lost the file...yes I know-)
Let me know what you think

Attached Thumbnails
# 43 23-07-2011 , 09:44 PM
Subscriber
Hey Martin. Shame you lost the original. I dont think the new texture is doing you any favours. The untextured shot looks good though, and the lack of cloth detail, folds, creases etc, stands out for me in the last one. Are you using one specific image as reference for his face... or a combination?

I wonder also, going back to the start of this thread. Is it possible, to texture a simple generic head with spotlight, and then use the texture information as a guide to sculpting?

I think the hair makes such a difference to character models, once that goes on I reckon it might be easier to 'snape' him.

# 44 23-07-2011 , 09:55 PM
Hi Ben

Thanks for your comments
I just started with this and haven't sculpted much detail in it only the head is refined somewhat, the rest are rough colors not really textures ( the resolution is to low for any polypaint to stick properly).
I am moddeling from different pictures and you can load an image in spotight , line it up with your model and line it up to the picture using the move brush, it 's not something I would reccomend however ( only for very small tweaks)

# 45 24-07-2011 , 11:54 AM
Lifetime Member
well that must have sucked big time mate!! losing a file is always a pain...or when it corrupts...looking good man...I do agree with ben though...the untextured shots give it more justice. As you have said (I do it too)..its just sometimes nicer with a wee bit of colour...grey is so droll..

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes