Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 03-04-2005 , 04:20 PM

UV Texturing: Treading Forbidden Waters (For A Newbie)

Hi Guys!

Okay, I know I have no business even trying to learn this stuff so early (if you can consider three years of teaching myself this stuff) on but I have a render I've done and it looks just okay but as you'll see from the notes, there's a glitch. I'm told if I do this, and I quote...

"U have got to do your texture UV, then do a snapshot of them ... Then in open it in photoshop and paint in white (or black, it depends on your soft 3D) areas where sss must be visible... Then when it is done, U can put that texture in the weight slot of the different Scatter..."

Yeah I'm still fooling around with the Maya subsurface scattering shaders (naughty Russ!) but I'm determined to figure this all out if it kills me. Can anyone guide me down the path of the straight and narrow? Do my texture UV? Huh? :ermm: What's that? Where do I find it in Maya? And once I'm in PS, how on earth do I do the painting? How do I decide what to paint white or black and how much do I need to do? With SSS, wouldn't I want there to be the effect all over the object so it's affected in light AND darkness? Ugh! I opened a smelly can of worms this time, y'all! If anyone can help me straighten out this hullabaloo, I'd really be eternally grateful. user added image

Russell

Attached Thumbnails

Russell Bolding
CEO/Founder - Russelltopia Studios
Web:https://www.russelltopia.com
Email:russbo@russelltopia.com
# 2 13-04-2005 , 04:53 AM
I am not exactly sure what you are asking. What is your objective.

Just a squirrel trying to get a nut!

Last edited by lukedukeofpuke; 13-04-2005 at 04:59 AM.
# 3 15-04-2005 , 10:58 PM
Subscriber
texture uv, i think what the guy in the quote means is that you need to aquire a UV Snapshot of the UV points for the texture painting.

I've only ever done this with a poly mesh, what you do is open a split panel (Prespective/ UV Editor) then select the mesh.

Edit Polygons -> Texture -> Automatic Mapping -> Options

Set details of the type of texture you will be using- e.g. set based on whether your textures will be high res or low res.

In UV Texture editor, go to Polygons (POLYGONS IN TEXTURE EDITOR) then to UV Snapshot. set it up to the specifications you want then hit OK.

Import to Photoshop and then paint it.

3D Modeler and Texture Painter (Learning)
"We have limits.... our imagination does not"

Final Year: University of Bradford (Worst place to live and study in the UK!!)