Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 01-10-2007 , 10:24 PM

If I were a Butterfly

Well I started working on this object some week ago and now I need some critics and tips on what to do next and what I should change.

I've Zbrushed the model and used a displacement map to make it lower poly then the Zbrush model. Right now I'm trying to make the specular map for the wings but it is rather hard to get the look I'm after.

Replies are most appreciated. user added image

user added image

Edit: Using my workcomputer it seems that the pretty dark, if this is a problem just say so and I will post a new one.

# 2 02-10-2007 , 10:06 AM
Subscriber
Looks nice
Whats the model for? is it going to be in a still shot or animation?
i like the pattern on the wings looks quite realistic. How did you do it?
Will you be using maya fur for the body?
Make sure you have correct lighting, otherwise your not going to get your specular right.

There's nothing normal about normals. In FACT i think the are abnormal.
# 3 02-10-2007 , 03:28 PM
Thanks.

Well I plan on using the model in a stillshot, but I still have to rig it completely to get it into place so perhaps I will make a short movie later just for fun. user added image

Well the pattern was made using the Adobe Photoshop Pen tool, then I just stroked the lines with a simple brush. And then I used the paint bucket to fill it, later I did some blurs and I also cut a simple pattern in the main orange part.

And hmm correct lightning? Right now I'm playing around with Mental ray final gathering. Maya fur have never been my friend so I dont plan on using it at the moment but I might try it out later just for fun. user added image

# 4 04-10-2007 , 08:19 PM
Well I have finnaly managed to do some sort of rig to my butterfly, at the moment the DOF doesnt seem to work correct. I am using the Mental ray "physical lens dof" the butterfly get a nice and small DOF effect but the plane that I use as a background is not effected at all. :S

If you have any good ideas regarding the texture please say so.

user added image

And yes I dont plan to use that background as my final, it is just a test. user added image

# 5 05-10-2007 , 05:04 AM
Subscriber
Hi.
Try moving the plane further away and scale it up if you need to, Just to see if the dof works.
Have you used the measureing tool to work out the correct distance.
Do you have the whites of the wings set to glow? doesnt quite look right.
Also i think you should a transparency map to your butterfly, this would add more realism to it.

Looking good, keep it up! user added image

There's nothing normal about normals. In FACT i think the are abnormal.