Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 03-03-2003 , 12:54 AM

March Challenge - Basura3d - Normal

MMMM, getting warm and cosy with Maya now... Gonna put the Harrier on ice and continue on it later. Was thinking about some manga like cyborg female something after seeing the movie Ghost in the Shell. Here are some pictures I surfed as I totally suck at concepting/drawing...

https://superwallpapers.free.fr/wallp...1_1024x768.jpg

https://www.screensavershot.com/animation/ghost.jpg

https://www.the-magicbox.com/poster/poster-nude.jpg

https://unit.bjork.com/specials/gh/SUB-01/aifol05.jpg

https://unit.bjork.com/specials/gh/SU...nce_5f3_04.jpg

Maybe even more robotic parts and only the head will look human...

# 2 03-03-2003 , 01:05 AM
Subscriber
GHOST IN THE SHELL.. HYEAAAAA. cant wait to see your work basura user added image. BTW, dont you love the spider tank part?

"I should call you sugar maple tree cause i'd totally tap that" haha

email - mattwettstein@gmail.com
# 3 03-03-2003 , 01:22 AM
YES! That part was awesome! For those who haven't seen the movie... SEE IT NOW!

I know it's going to be a difficult model so I hope I'm not aiming to high user added image

# 4 03-03-2003 , 01:36 AM
Subscriber
If you model her, then you have to model the tank... if you dont then in a few months user added image.. a short animation of the 2 machines would rock. For all you people who want to see kinda what this movie is like, look at this...

This is her trying to rip off the door on the spider tank, to take it down manually.

# 5 03-03-2003 , 01:39 AM
Subscriber
This is her after she rips off her own arms in the attempt to kill the operator user added image.

BTW.. screenshots from my vcd of Ghost in the shell user added image.

# 6 03-03-2003 , 09:27 PM
Supreme Being
looking forward to this one..!! user added image

# 7 04-03-2003 , 05:16 AM
Can't wait to see an update! Loved the work that you did on the Harrier! THanks,
Brian

Please check
My (old) website!
# 8 07-03-2003 , 01:11 PM
As I'm familiar to polygon facemodeling I was going to show it here. Although Undseth modeled a polygonal face in the last competition and it looked awesome he did more of a Nurbs aproach where you more or less keep the isoprams of a cylinder. The other way of modeling faces (there is actually countless ways of doing it) is to start from the eyes and mouth and extruding edges from there. This way of modeling faces is kind of easier when you want to do expressions as the polygons are put in such a way that they move more naturally... This is method was used on the Final Fantasy movie for example...

So I'm actually going to do it step by step, if someone is interested...

As you can see I started by doing 2 lines that where lofted to a polygon mesh so they could form the eye. And although I'm using Nataly Portman It's not actually her I'm going to do. It's more for gettign the feminine shapes...

# 9 07-03-2003 , 01:34 PM
So after creating it you adjust it by pulling vertices so it matches on both front and side views...

# 10 07-03-2003 , 02:00 PM
And a couple of outer edge extrudes from the eye... Just do one extrude at a time and then fix the vertices before doing one more, it's much easier to work that way... Try to get the overall shape right but you will have plenty of time to adjust all the vertices in finer detail later on...

# 11 07-03-2003 , 02:01 PM
Hehe, someone has been visiting www.fineart.sk user added image

I used these reference pics last year too. You can see my results at my site: https://kotisivu.mtv3.fi/karppa/ (Graphics section)

I wrote a little article about doing the model too...

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 12 07-03-2003 , 03:09 PM
Now I extruded the outer edges closest to the middle and used the split polygon tool to add more detail inbetween. Then I took the lowest edge and extruded it down so I could get a rough shape of the nose. Now I will try to connec those edges so I get some sort of hard shape on the nose...

# 13 07-03-2003 , 03:27 PM
Ah! Cool model you did kbrown! Really good!

About the www.fineart.sk I chose those if anybody would be interested in doing a similar headmodel they could dowload them directly without having to ask me to send them. Overall it's a great site both for the anatomy but also for seing other models and even use as textures.

# 14 07-03-2003 , 03:36 PM
Subscriber
ah keep it up basura, i love this technique!... How hard is it to build from the eye out? Pretty time consuming?

BTW, if you do this step by step maybe we will relocate this to the tutorial section or how i did it section, so that people can view it in the future for refrence user added image.

Last edited by M; 07-03-2003 at 03:38 PM.
# 15 07-03-2003 , 04:02 PM
Here is what I wanted to do for the whole model. As I suck at freehand drawing a concept guy at work did this 1 minute drawing for me after my specifications... Much easier to visualize the whole thing...