Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 22-01-2016 , 03:29 PM

Following a tutorial; Boolean difference makes mesh generate holes?

I was following a tutorial on how to model an X-Wing, and all was going well until this part: https://youtu.be/FCdlpfEviV8?t=11m24s

I do my best to match what he's doing, yet every time I attempt a boolean difference on the wing it causes a load of holes to appear dotted all over the mesh, like so:

user added image

The bit where the cylinder was is absolutely fine, but the rest of the wing gets these weird gaps all over. I tried doing this without smoothing the wing, but this causes both the wing and the cylinder to vanish. is this because I'm using 2014 as opposed to the 2016 version I think the guy is using in the video? Up to this point buttons were just in different places... I can try to get a student version of 2016 if that's the issue, I just hope importing the project over won't be too hard!