Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 15-07-2004 , 11:40 AM
Subscriber

Rendering a volumetric area ?

Is it possible to rerder an area which is contained/enclosed within a cube.

Example: I have a building with 5 stories and need to render stages where each stage reveals a different level within the building - now if I could place a volume and render only what is inside and then move it and render another area - This would be great !

Nir

Nir Sullam
Architectural Visualizations Page: www.orvatsel.com/index2.html
Maya Page: www.orvatsel.com/maya
www.nirsullam.com
# 2 20-07-2004 , 11:24 PM
couldn't you just make some cameras and place them in the various parts of your building?

Car-maker.
Check out my releases for RACER.
see the WWW button
# 3 21-07-2004 , 07:27 AM
Subscriber
I could but this is not what I need

Imagine you have a 5 levels building and you want to show the 3rd level in isometric view without having to cut the building to slices - which is possible but takes a lot of time to do (which is exactly what I have done in this case...!).

In Revit , for example - there is a way to show the modeler only what is enclosed within a user defined box so you may work easily on this area and later - reveal the rest.

Nir Sullam
www.nirsullam.com
# 4 21-07-2004 , 07:32 AM
Subscriber
Here is an example of the final rendering

Attached Thumbnails

Nir Sullam
www.nirsullam.com
# 5 22-07-2004 , 12:46 AM
As far as I know what you're trying to do does not exist in Maya. However, this is a total hack but it could work.

Try making some layered shaders with the shaders you're using as the base layer, and a new shader above them that uses a projection map to blast transparancy accross the terrain. Then you could move the projection node up and down to render each level.

OK, so my description sucks, but I think it should work. Let me know if you need more help and if I have time I'll put together an example.

# 6 22-07-2004 , 06:49 AM
Subscriber
Dann

I think you do need to make small file demonstarting it - I think I will be ablr to figure it out by looking at the shading networks.

thanks

Nir

Nir Sullam
www.nirsullam.com
# 7 23-07-2004 , 05:58 AM
I think this is what you wanted. In group1, try moving the node "place3dTexture" up and down and see how the different levels get cut away. If you want to use the node to show levels rather than hide them you can change the ramp color to black and set the ramp default color (under color balance) to white.

Also, check out "group2" (hide group1). In this case, the 2 place3texture nodes combine to make a box "render zone" if you will.

Hope this helps.

Attached Files
File Type: ma level.ma (76.3 KB, 160 views)
# 8 23-07-2004 , 10:50 AM
Subscriber
Dann

Thanks

I now have to inverstigate the materials and the method you applied to it all for it to work

THX !

Nir

Nir Sullam
www.nirsullam.com

Last edited by nirsul; 23-07-2004 at 11:07 AM.
# 9 23-07-2004 , 03:27 PM
It's basically just a single texture projection that's applied as the transparency for all of the shders. I used a ramp texture but with no ramp, just a solid color. Then I turned off the wrapU & wrapV so that it would only blast what's inside the projection node and would not tile. When I set the ramp to white, everything inside the bounderies of the projection is transparant, and because I set the default color to black, everything else is opaque.

I hope that's a bit clearer. The best way to understand is to open up the hypershader, pick a material and graph it. Let your mouse wander over the connector lines and see how the different nodes connect to one another.