Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 18-03-2005 , 01:30 AM

polys to subd problem!

Hi there....

Couple of steps to this question.... I'm completing the dog tutorial from this website and am trying to convert the polygons to subd's..... I fixed most of the model by merging vertices but am having a problem with the mouth area!

First image is a picture of the model when i first convert him to subd's.... obviously the vertices aren't merged so I go back and merge the vertices on the side!.....
When I try to convert to subd's this time it tells me to polygon>cleanup my geometry..... I do this and this seems to separate the polygons I originally merged away from the model! See next picture!!

How can I fix this.... the merging of vertices on the rest of the model worked fine!!

Help

L.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 18-03-2005 , 01:33 AM
After doing the polygon>cleanup

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 23-03-2005 , 12:31 AM
iam a very resent use of maya but i think your problem is loose vertices. u have vertices that are not attached to any thing. so u got 2 merge them 2gether. hope this helps.

# 4 23-03-2005 , 05:30 PM
Subscriber
try selecting the edges of where they don't join and using the edit polygons - merge multiple edges command remember to only select two at a time though.
If this doesn't work go to your settings and onto preferences then if you go on the polygons options and turn border edges on and set the distance to something like 3.0 you can then see where edges or vertices need merging by the thick lines that show up on your model

# 5 26-03-2005 , 12:37 AM
couldn't this be becoz of non-manifold edges?.. like having two faces or somethin... accidentally duplicated on same location and did merge vertices?

i dunno.. ima newbie.

# 6 26-03-2005 , 12:27 PM
yun !:bored:

# 7 27-03-2005 , 06:44 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by bubbleme80
couldn't this be becoz of non-manifold edges?.. like having two faces or somethin... accidentally duplicated on same location and did merge vertices?

i dunno.. ima newbie.

thats the problem, nonmanifold edges - this is because there is a problem with the normals and/ or since a particular edge is being shared by one or more pieces of geometry.

To correct the problem:
Polygons -> Clean Up -> Options.

In this box, go to "Other" setting tabs and tick nonmanifold geometry- enable normals and geometry and click "Clean up"

it will break itself of from the original geometry, its just the way sub-divs work.