Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 27-03-2007 , 11:35 AM

Can't covert to subdivs!!

First off, this is a great website!! I enjoy it a lot. Thanks!!
Thanks in advance for helping!
I finished my first humanoid model the other day in Maya. It was great fun and challenging learning by myself!! Afterwards with my model all converted to Polygons, like the tutorial I tried to "convert to subdivs", but it said it couldn't do it. Says process failed! See script editor.

Well I don't know if this is Scrip Editor or not. I looked on the Output window and this is what it said:
mental ray for Maya 7.0
mental ray: version 3.4.5.2, 06 July 2005
Hardware Renderer : vendor(NVIDIA Corporation), renderer(GeForce 7300 GT/PCI/SSE2), version(2.0.3)
fragment API(NVIDIA Cg)
vertex API(Cg vertex programs)
Cg fragment profile(fp30), vertex profile(arbvp1)

Is this related? A clue?

I was really looking forward to the nice "smooth finish" of subdivs.

-James

james
# 2 27-03-2007 , 12:20 PM
Subscriber
Hello James,

to open the script editor got to Window > General Editors > Script Editor or press Shift + s.

Without seeing what it says there could be a couple of reasons that your mesh didn't convert.

1: The maximum base mesh faces (in the convert poly to sub-d attributes) are set too low, it should say, in the script editor, when you get the error message what amount you need to set it to.

2: There may be some non-manifold geometry on the model, use the Cleanup option under the Mesh menu (maya 8 and above) to sort this out.

Hope that helps,

Mat.

# 3 27-03-2007 , 02:44 PM
Subscriber
yes what happymat said will always do the trick. since ive been using maya those are the only 2 reasons why it never converts

Toyota Supra WIP

I create feeling in others that they themseleves don’t understand.
# 4 27-03-2007 , 11:01 PM
Yes that appears to have solved the problem! Thanks!!
It's great to figure that out. I am the surprised the Script Editor is so helpful. It tells the erros and suggests the solutions!!

james