Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 23-06-2003 , 05:37 AM

Object Illumination

A thread in the basics forum got me interested in this. I was wondering if there was a way to find out much light is actually hitting a certain object. Like a numerical value, that could used for things like pupil dialation expressions and whatnot.

________

- Jacob
# 2 13-07-2003 , 12:10 AM
Wow, never would have thought of that. I dont think that is implemented in maya yet, but It should be. I may be wrong, as I have barely scratched the surface of maya. But if you ever find out anything about it, I would like to know.

It's Dr. Know, Not Darknow
# 3 13-07-2003 , 12:41 AM
For pupil dialations, you could also use Set Driven Keys for thatuser added image

Simply make the lights' manipulator the driver, and key its' translation so that as it approaches the eye, the ramp, (or whatever pupil set-up you have), will get smaller.

Thus, your pupil dialtes to a pre-set max the farther away the light manipulator gets.

Another way would be to use the lights' intensity curve as the driver.

Otherwise, if it is just a one-off shot, you could just key the dialation alsouser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 4 13-07-2003 , 12:52 AM
Ill keep that in mind. It is definitely a great animation technique

It's Dr. Know, Not Darknow
# 5 18-07-2003 , 09:39 AM
OK, this might be hair splitting, but pupils don't dilate right away. There is a small time delay, so you probably will have to write an expression or something to have it absolutely perfect.

I would be glad to be able to build a character where these things would matter anyway .... :bow: