Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 30-03-2005 , 08:06 PM

getting started: modelling cars

hi!
im quite a noob when it comes to maya but we have all got to start somewhere right?!? for my first project i intend to model an audi tt and i have read several different tutorials on how to model it. I am aware that it is down to preferance the way in which you model, so i was wondering what is your preffered method when it comes to modelling a car???

thanks for your time!
acute

Last edited by acute; 30-03-2005 at 08:08 PM.
# 2 30-03-2005 , 09:28 PM
I prefer poly modeling, and pretty much poly-by-poly, not using any special tools or box modeling (fanciest I get is using extrude tools).

Car-maker.
Check out my releases for RACER.
see the WWW button
# 3 30-03-2005 , 09:36 PM
yeh thats how ive started my tt. iv created the shape but im a bit be-whilldered*? by the detail that needs to be applied to the car!!

# 4 30-03-2005 , 09:42 PM
Subscriber
when i first modelled a car i used polygons, but the end result was abit poor. so i turned to nurbs... and it gave me really good results (lot of modelling time though!)

but for a car i prefer to work with Nurbs - mainly using a series of curves and working from there, that way you have the freedom of working with all the nurbs tools to create a really sharp model.

3D Modeler and Texture Painter (Learning)
"We have limits.... our imagination does not"

Final Year: University of Bradford (Worst place to live and study in the UK!!)
# 5 02-04-2005 , 04:31 PM
Subscriber
Hey acute

When I model cars I start out with polys then convert to sub d's
Watch out for Simply Maya's upcoming Car creation Tutorial

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 03-04-2005 , 01:24 PM
shes a beauty lol ill post my attempt at a tt when its finnished if your interested?