Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 05-10-2005 , 09:35 PM
Subscriber

Need help detailing my neck.

Hi all,

I need help detailing my neck. Any comments r welcome.

And which eyeball is better?

My actual eye is not pure black, so it is super dark brown...and this is the most I can come up with....

So which eyeball is best?

How can one get that outer shine of the eye without raytracing?

Thanks.

# 2 05-10-2005 , 09:36 PM
Subscriber
Sorry,

Here is the pic.

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 06-10-2005 , 10:58 AM
Give us a wireframe perspective view of it so we can see side and front at the same time.

# 4 06-10-2005 , 12:15 PM
Subscriber
wireframe perspective

# 5 06-10-2005 , 12:16 PM
Subscriber
I thought I attach the pic already.

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 06-10-2005 , 06:44 PM
Subscriber
I don't think that you should really change to much of it unless you want it to look really anatomical. The sternomastoid runs from under the ear to the center of the clavical, but that isn't dominant on most women.

# 7 06-10-2005 , 07:01 PM
Subscriber
you also need to add a color bone in there

# 8 06-10-2005 , 07:31 PM
for eyeballs.. if this is for a game character, then u just fake it with a white dot on eye texture.

if this is not for game character.. .then make a duplicate of the eye, then make it a little bigger than the eye.. so it is covering the eye.

then assign "blinn" material to it, make the color pure black, 99% or 100% transparent(see which u like more), set eccentricity really low, and set specular roll off really high... also specular color should be pure white.

but this is for non-game characters..

# 9 06-10-2005 , 08:33 PM
Subscriber
Hey Bubbleme,

I love your texture on the fat guy of your site. Did you use actual photos to put it on the UV map?

I was thinking about using actual photos, but my side pic was a bit distorded when I adjust it to match the height with the front pic. So I am thinking the cyclops tutorials may be good to follow.

How many layers did you use to make the skin textures.

What is a really good book to follow skin texture out there?

Thks.

# 10 06-10-2005 , 09:14 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
ahmagnet

Ive had a look at the images and done a bit of adjustment to what I think you need to do, edge flow is the biggest problem right now keep it as smooth as you can or as near to the figures face which is obscured so I cant really get a great sense of what its doing under the model.

Jay

Attached Images
# 11 06-10-2005 , 09:46 PM
Hi, tvholicjames

for the skin texture.. i actually painted the entire thing.. I come from a traditional figure painting background so i had it easier.

I do not like using photographs because in photograph there is always light and shadow in photos.. But i don't want to put them in my color map. So I paint color map for ONLY color, no shadows.. and I paint bump map, for shadows of wrinkles and such.

as for books in texturing.. i do not know.. im actually a newbie in maya, lookin for a job. haha..

i think there are 2 parts to texturing.. first is knowledge of the subject (ex. knowing which part of body/face has more blood showing through, so u know where would be redder). second is just skill of painting or photo-manipulation. I dont think there are any much more..

# 12 12-10-2005 , 07:49 PM
Subscriber

my arms now...

Thanks all,

I finally got my collar bone by the way and attach my tessellated arm to my hand. But something didn't seem right. Arm or hand?

Shoulder?

Disregard the polybone fingers...and the clusters, I couldn't turn the visibility off.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by ahmagnet; 12-10-2005 at 07:52 PM.
# 13 12-10-2005 , 08:56 PM
Ah okay so well skip the head modelling part to improve that for optimum use and get on with the rig then shall we?

Hmmm? Priorities!!

Jay

# 14 13-10-2005 , 05:27 AM
Subscriber
I fixed the head already. My lab instructor said it was fine since the side doesn't deform, no need to put more polygons to it. And I added a collarbone.

# 15 13-10-2005 , 07:02 AM
Lab Instructor? Does he understand topology? Side of the face does actually move, around the eyes etc and the cheeks. Okay granted not around the ears but look at the original mesh.

I didnt add any polys previously I merely improved their flow for a better deformation. Also having a better mesh will improve rendering as the render engine doesnt have to calculate awkward polys. Quads actually turn to tris at render time, so you can see my point of a cleaner mesh I hope.

Jay