Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 05-04-2009 , 03:11 PM

Beginner Help

Hey,
I want to start modeling with Maya. But i have a problem i don t know how to start =). i bought a book named (Maya 2008) its a good Book but i dont find a start itno the program Maya. i started to do some of your nice Free Tutoriel but they are very hard for me becaus i cant speak English that well and they are very fast.

maybe someone know a good way to start or can help me a bit.

thets my icq number:497851307 (pls dont spam me !! =) )

I hope someone can help me becaus i like modeling ( the few things i did ) and i want to lern handeling the program

Clemy

# 2 05-04-2009 , 09:08 PM
Subscriber
welcome to the forums and the fun ways of maya!

open maya, go to the help files and find the tutorials
do the ones that come with the program or you'll be posting questions that you would know the answer to if you did those tutorials
inbuilt tutorials can be found by navigating the top link in the context menu on the left.

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 3 06-04-2009 , 05:06 PM
start off with something simple - a cup or your table. use polygons to begin with - they are easy to use - get used to using the extrude tool and the split polygon tool - remember to work on your model in component mode (faces, edges, vertices) when adding details - you can get to this with a backclick.

let's see what you've done so far. don't be afraid to ask questions on the board - but keep it specific - rather than vague if you want to get good responses. also do a search - a lot of the basic stuff is already covered.

also, chirone is definitely right - f1 has a lot of good help too. user added image

# 4 06-04-2009 , 06:34 PM

Tyvm Guys

Thank you guys
I started with my book and the Autodesk help.
The tutoriel of the Cartoon Dog is very cool but the modeling of a leg is very difficult for me =).

Thank you very much for reply that fast :attn:

Clemy

# 5 08-04-2009 , 01:00 PM
Lifetime Member
What ever you do with your first models...Take your time!!! Try and understand exactly what you're doing and why you're doing it.

I found it all to easy to follow the tutorials step by step, but at the end you think to yourself...Why did I just do that?

The cartoon dog is a very good one to start with, also the basic human. I've done both now, but I had more confidence with the second tut. I'm busy doing the Chef Ramsey tutorial where I tend to watch the tutorial section then sit down and do the work. I also try and add some of my own ideas, so that I learn a bit by myself. Don't worry about time at first, like everything, practice will bring speed.

What has helped for me is saving often with a new file name...That way I can re-trace my steps if I've made a mistake. Oh, and set your undo limit to 99 or infinite!

Finally, post your work! It's good to get feedback, both good and bad. That is how you learn! I still need to post my cartoon dog.

Happy modeling!

-Jacques

Poly-pushing on a '96 SGI O2