Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 09-03-2003 , 05:35 AM

modelings w/ nurbs cylinders

ok.. a few questions about nurbs and hopefully you guys can help me out a little bit. Lets say that I was modeling an object and I was starting it off with a nurbs cylinder. After i tweak all of my vertices... what would be a good solution to "capping" one of the ends of the cylinder. And after capping the end, would i stitch that end to the main body or attach it, so i can properly move the combine pieces together. Any response would be very appreciated. Thanks

# 2 09-03-2003 , 06:05 AM
The Maya Mountain
a screenshot of some kind might help us visualize what you're asking... user added image

# 3 10-03-2003 , 09:21 PM
1) ok.. how would i go about filling in this gap at the end of the nurbs cylinder? or what are the better ways to do it?

2) and after closing it up.. should i attach the "fill in" with nurbs>attach or nurbs>stitch???? If i wanted it(the fill in) to move correctly with the main body.

I hope you understand what i'm asking for?

(one more question? how do you render something out just for wireframe? know how to do it in max.. not maya)
sorry and thanks

# 4 11-03-2003 , 03:06 PM
1.) When you first create the cylinder, select the option box. This will allow you to create it with caps on both ends, caps just on the top or bottom, or none at all.

2.) If you're trying to stitch it to something else, such as a leg to a body, don't cap it at all. You just want to make sure you have your isoparms matched up. Check out the arm stitching tutorial here at SM or the tuts at MtMckinley's site (his url is in his signature) in the above post.

3.) As far as rendering out in wireframe, you might want to look at this thread:

https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...ight=wireframe.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 5 11-03-2003 , 03:18 PM
Even though Nitroliq´s explanation is excellent, I wouldn´t advise capping it with planar surfaces. I remember having lots of trouble with that. I remember there was a way of duplicating that last Isoparm, and then scaling it down closing the gap till whatever measure turns you on.

Hope it helps,

# 6 11-03-2003 , 03:30 PM
Yeah there's a thread on the SM boards somewhere on closing the end of an airplane wing that goes over the same technique.....insert a couple of isoparms towards the end and scale inward. Really, it just depends on the situation as far as what to do, though. If you're stitching, I wouldn't start with caps at all since it's just a part of whole. If you DO need to use caps, build the cylinder with caps at the time of creation....ADL, is right....planar trims can be a drag to work with i(especially if you have to translate the cylinder in some way).

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 7 11-03-2003 , 05:22 PM