Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 16 03-03-2011 , 11:25 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
THX

Absolutely correct. Actually now, thinking about it, using Maya 3 was like trying to run thru a jungle with a sack of potatoes on your back because it was so card reliant. But version 4 was the user friendly Maya, one of the best in my opinion as it was very stable, I believe they re-wrote the engine so it didnt rely on the card but used the pcs core, or something like that, I cant be quite sure but it was like riding a bike downhill it was so different and 'light'- I used it for ages skipping version 4.5 then only getting onto version 5 about two months before 6 was released - again another good version. Did lots of good stuff with that even missing 7 - 8.5

Mr Priest!! good to see you back mate!!

cheers
J

# 17 04-03-2011 , 12:09 AM
19 year Veteran

Absolutely correct. Actually now, thinking about it, using Maya 3 was like trying to run threw a jungle with a sack of potatoes on your back because it was so card reliant.

Yeah, I remember the guy that introduced me to Maya way back in the day. He said the version he was using wasn't very PC friendly, and that I should wait until version 4 for better user and pc compatibility. So thats what I did.

# 18 04-03-2011 , 05:17 AM
Head of 3d Admedia
i dont think ill be upgrading for another few years though they new features dont really add anything in our pipeline

# 19 04-03-2011 , 12:06 PM
@Jay, I agree with you. But I have to say that I'm not going to go big in Maya to the point where I want to join a big company. I would like to do the design and animations on a small scale, do you think Maya is a over kill for this? I would like to also produce my own comics and seems easier with Maya and maybe short animation.

Currently taking classes for Maya and seems like a nice package cause it can do almost everything.

Last edited by Vortexx; 04-03-2011 at 12:53 PM.
# 20 04-03-2011 , 06:51 PM
EduSciVis-er
You know what looks cool in the new features? Ubercam.

Sorry, correction. You know what sounds cool in the new features? Ubercam.

# 21 06-03-2011 , 12:18 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Vortexx

hahaha, never say never. I wasnt saying anyone should join a big company, no no, I was pointing out what happens at them and some of us are privvy and lucky enough to use the custom built tools to enable us to do stuff that you cant do out of the box when you launch it. However yes, maya is very very good, it can help the artist immensley. We all have our little niggles with it, I do, but Ive been using it for a long time now and to be honest even after some thought about switching to modo or even blender because of upgrade prices being too steep, I'm sticking with what I know now.

Of course you do what you need to with it, as long as you can get done what you need to, then theres no reason why not

Of all the new features in the 2012 version, Im quite like the the new substance materials setup......very nice. If that can be made use of with your own textures too, that will really be super useful.

J

# 22 07-03-2011 , 11:14 AM
Jay,

Thanks for the feedback, I'm to new in Maya to comment on anything, just looking forward to the training that starts today :-). This is only the basic course for beginners but will work my way up and in 10years from now, when I'm gray and old, hopefully will get to where you guys are hehe.

I just can not leave 3D animation as I have a big love for it.