Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 91 28-01-2008 , 09:20 AM
Subscriber
very cool modelling there man, my first confrontation would be the legs, they for some reason look short.

Like a dwarf.

you need some more butt muscle

would be interesting to make a quick rig to pose it. to let it feel better.

You can always reconnect the rig to the new mesh as long as you don`t delete add geometry to the main body.
Even thou if you have 2008 you can connect the new edited body to the rig and share the weights. kinda cool.

If i want to feel something i do this all the time.

The only reason that i would suggest feel is that you have done a great job already, and to make it better to feel what is wrong you could do a pose.

also do a set keyframes from you normal t-pose to the pose. so that you can connect your body on the first key.

# 92 28-01-2008 , 01:17 PM
Think this is a bit better.

Attached Thumbnails
# 93 28-01-2008 , 03:10 PM
Link to quick turnable from z3. I set up the pose quick so youll have to excuse the creasing as the back of the legs. I will try and sort out the gloves since they are missing the spikes and try to get the textures sorted as soon as possible and get a proper render done. Forgot to mention the all important bat cape.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgZKSm9KE3c

Last edited by leonlabyk; 28-01-2008 at 04:37 PM.
# 94 28-01-2008 , 03:27 PM
Subscriber
nice turntable, looks good.

The length now looks very good, or could be the reason of the reduced muscles.

But it still looks a bit off. I think it`s the width of the wast?

Dunno what it is.

Maybe other members might know user added image

keep it up man.

# 95 28-01-2008 , 04:06 PM
very nice modeling but the legs still looks a bit short to me, is the character 7 heads tall?

# 96 28-01-2008 , 04:35 PM
Thanks for the help guys. I will look into things a bit more in a few days to see if I can get things tighter. Think it may be due to the model I am using for reference being a bit of a odd shape but I am sure I can get things looking right. Hope to have him done soon though as I want to get Wolverine and Venom finished off not to mention my Akira stuff.
Gonna have to do some proper work now though but should have some updates by Sunday I hope.

Thanks for the help and comments guys it is much appreciated.

# 97 31-10-2008 , 04:32 PM
I have finally rigged this guy and am having some trouble with the head area as the body is coming out of the helmet. Does anyone have any advice as to what I can set up so this does not happen.

Attached Thumbnails
# 98 31-10-2008 , 04:33 PM
When I tip the head forward I have the same problem at the front.

Thanks,

Leon

Attached Thumbnails
# 99 31-10-2008 , 04:55 PM
Just set up a quick pose to get a feel for how things are looking. I will set up the cape and his pants once I get this rig problem sussed. I should then be able to get some motion capture onto him and set up a short piece of animation.

Attached Thumbnails
# 100 01-11-2008 , 12:31 AM
Super Moderator
Looking good, though I think his arms are a little stubby and something is a little odd about his crotch area.

- Genny
# 101 01-11-2008 , 01:08 AM

Originally posted by GecT
something is a little odd about his crotch area.

Yeah, he aint hanging low enough so to speak. Not too sure about the problem, maybe transfer the weights from one mesh to the other to stop it, but then you'll have to repaint the rest of the weights, or make a blend shape to sort it out for the poses?

Probably the latter, Jay would nail this one.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 102 01-11-2008 , 01:38 AM
Looks better than before. But now his arms are way to bulky compared to his back, waist and legs. It looks like he did biceps curls -only- for his entire life.

# 103 01-11-2008 , 04:32 AM
Its highly detailed, but remember hero characters are usually atleast 8 - 9 heads high, luckily its not reality so you dont need to give him a standard frame. I think his rib cage is the wrong shape and his hips need to be more prominant, you have build his bicepts but he really needs the classical proportions to compliment the proportions your trying to give him.

Check out christopher harts heroes and vilans book on proportions for this kind of thing, its awesome. That and hograths figrue drawing books show super pronounced muscles correctly.

The anatomy just seems off some what, when anatomy is so exhadurated and the muscles so pronounced, make sure that the ligiments are flowing in the right direction and the skin is bulged in the right places. Muscles are not a surface detail.

Genearally this is a strong piece and is an extremley challenging subject that many sculptors would shy from, keep it up.

FX supervisor - double negative
# 104 01-11-2008 , 02:02 PM
Thanks for all the comments guys it is much appreciated. The main problem for me at the moment is the hips area and so I am going to try and sort that out for now. I may then just set up the cape and get some renders of him in the batmobile to see how it looks.
Once I get some decent renders I will look over some more anatomy books and check out heroes and vilans. Hopefully this will allow me to make more improvements to get the anatomy more balanced.

Thanks for the help and advice guys it is much appreciated,

Leon

Attached Thumbnails
# 105 01-11-2008 , 02:59 PM
Much better, now he's starting to look really good. Although his biceps may still be a bit over the top...