Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 16 13-10-2002 , 02:41 AM
Subscriber
Crap. I couldn't undo enough to get back to the original object design. (before I started the boolean stuff) So, I rebuilt the entire thing, which took an eternity, and saved. I tried it again, this time deleting the history each time after I did a Boolean. I got up to nine and couldn't go any further. It did the exact same thing. There must be some kind of limit as to how many times you can boolean an object depanding on its shape or the number of polygons it's made up of. This really stinks b/c I could have made it look cool. Hey! *idea suddenly pops into his head* I might be able to get it to work if I combine all the duplicate cylinders and make them into one object. Then I just have to boolean once. Ha! I hope it works.....

# 17 13-10-2002 , 02:48 AM
Subscriber
Man! It didn't work! Both objects just dissapeared. I tried deleting the history on both objects before I even did it, too. Gosh this is so frustrating. I'll never get this right..... user added image

# 18 13-10-2002 , 03:12 AM
Subscriber
Heres what I recommend. Get yourself a hammer, bottle of vodka and clay...

1) Throw the computer out of a window.
2) Drink the vodka.
3) Model what you need using clay.

=|

- Chris L. Harkins -
# 19 13-10-2002 , 08:37 PM
Supreme Being
well you could do what Oculus recommended... lol
or you can send me the file to look at it and i'll let you know asap..
p4r4norm4@simplymaya.co.uk
maybe somebody else has an idea.. don't be shy, speak up.. :p

# 20 13-10-2002 , 09:34 PM
Supreme Being
ok man.. i got the file.. but i don't know where you want the holes and how many..?!
let me know..
btw.. it's lookin' real nice so far man.. :p

# 21 13-10-2002 , 09:59 PM
Subscriber
You see the gun with all the cylinders inside? That's the once. I was trying to use those cylinders to make the holes. It's the guns on either side of the cockpit of the warrior. The really big ones that are supported by two cubes. I want as many holes as there are cylinders. You can see how they protrude through the barrel. Hope that helps.

# 22 13-10-2002 , 10:51 PM
Supreme Being
this is what you have to do..
first of all.. just a note for future play with boolean.. when you boolean something and many surfaces are intersecting.. it won't work.. especially if those surfaces are of no need..
that why i had to change the cylinders, as you will see..
and it is very important to delete history from everyobject which will be used in the boolean, before and after the boolean..

hope this helps.. :p

# 23 13-10-2002 , 10:53 PM
Subscriber
Ahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!! If you were a girl I'd kiss you Roman!!!!! Oh joy! I love you! Ha-ha!

# 24 13-10-2002 , 10:58 PM
Subscriber
Wow! Thats cool.

My recommendation above... I don't remember typing that. And Im sure I had a reason for the hammer, but I forgot it by the time I started typing the list... I gotta lay off the alchohol. =|

- Chris L. Harkins -
# 25 13-10-2002 , 11:13 PM
Supreme Being
what i did was make those smaller cylinder so they won't intersect with eachother.. and made two combines.. so no cylinder surface would intersect with each other..
i deleted history of the gun and the cylinders..
then selected the gun and i combined cylinder thingy.. boolean > difference..
then deleted history again.. and went on to the second difference the same way..

here's a *.ma with the gun ready for difference.. and one already done.. user added image