Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 29-10-2005 , 08:51 AM

Simple Question

Hy guys how i can do this in Maya? I'm a total noob...

Thanks and sorry for my horrible English, it is a good forumuser added image .

# 2 29-10-2005 , 09:30 AM
the best i could do is like below,
but i don't know how to cut it

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 29-10-2005 , 09:46 AM
how to create the cylinder like him?

Attached Images
# 4 29-10-2005 , 06:33 PM
2 ways to do this -- the quick way, or the brute force way.

Brute Force way: Not recommended -- but its good to learn how to brute force things instead of wasting even more time than brute forcing it trying to figure out the easy way to do it. ~12 steps

Easy Way: 3 steps.

Brute Force Way -- create a cylinder and right click then left click on "faces" Delete all faces on the flat ends.

Go back to object mode (right click -> object mode) and click on your headless cylinder and then press ctrl+c then ctrl +v to duplicate your cylinder. Deselect everything then click on the cylinder again (to select one of the two cylinders identicle) then press "r" to bring up the scale tool.

Then, hold control and whatever axis is along the length of the cylinder (you DON'T want to adjust the heigh, just the length and width by equal amounts) drag that axis up and down until you got your inside cylinder scaled properly.

**You'll probably want to flip the normals inward, especially if its going into a game.**

To create the lips to join the two cylinders together into a tube -- I just use the "polygons -> create polygon tool" tool to add the faces inbetween the two cylinders.

Combine all the faces then merge the vertices to create a solid mesh (check your face normals).

Easy Way
Create a cylinder, then copy/paste it over itself.

Deselect then select just 1 of the cylinders and open the scale tool. On the length-wise axis pull up to make the 2nd cylinder longer than the first, then hold control and pull down to make it skinnier than the first. (see figure 1)

user added image

Select the small fat one then shift-select the tall skinny one, then go to "polygons -> booleans -> difference" -- voila. Check the normals though... just in case.

# 5 29-10-2005 , 09:01 PM
The Maya Mountain
If you're just wanting to boolean out holes in an object, just create the cylinders, place them where you want the holes to be.

Select the main surface, shift select one of the cylinders, go to Polygons > Booleans > and I believe you'd want to do Difference, I think that's it... I don't have Maya in front of me, but if not, try the others to see which operation you want to do.

# 6 29-10-2005 , 09:06 PM
i find it a little bit "time consuming" to add the faces inbetween the two cylinders - the brute force way

coz if the poly got many "subdivision around axis", how r we gonna do it? is there any fast trick here?

user added image

and the second way, (more faster imho)
user added image

# 7 29-10-2005 , 09:21 PM
yup,
thanks Glicerart for this question and those who help user added image

i learn the most important here :attn:

Attached Images
# 8 29-10-2005 , 09:30 PM

yup,
thanks Glicerart for this question and those who help user added image

i learn the most important here :attn:

Mee toouser added image :attn: .

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Glicerart; 29-10-2005 at 09:32 PM.
# 9 30-10-2005 , 02:37 AM

Originally posted by nowonder
i find it a little bit "time consuming" to add the faces inbetween the two cylinders - the brute force way

coz if the poly got many "subdivision around axis", how r we gonna do it? is there any fast trick here?

user added image

and the second way, (more faster imho)
user added image

Thats the point -- it IS time consuming and not recommended... but whats more time consuming? brute forcing your project than moving on, or waiting for someone to tell you the proper way?

If all else fails -- its good to learn how to think up backup-plans. The create polygon tool is your last resort weapon.

Last edited by Phopojijo; 30-10-2005 at 02:42 AM.
# 10 31-10-2005 , 07:19 PM
why the resulted boolean operation for this quite same 2 objects is different?

Attached Images
# 11 31-10-2005 , 08:18 PM
The Maya Mountain
It depends on the order you select them, as well as whether or not the surface is a closed surface.

# 12 31-10-2005 , 11:07 PM

Originally posted by nowonder
why the resulted boolean operation for this quite same 2 objects is different?

It creates a hole through the solid object it thinks you have.

Look at the first picture, the "insides" of the object is inbetween the two layers of faces.

Look at the second picture, the "insides" of the object is the entire diameter.

So for the first boolean it cut out inbetween both cylinders.

The second it cut straight through the single cylinder.

Think of it this way

Maya thinks the double-layered cylinder is hollow... and thus you can't drill through air so it only places holes on the "non-hollow" parts. The second cylinder is considered "non-hollow" thus its drilled straight through.

Why is the first cylinder hollow?

Because you created an internal cylinder which tells Maya "Hey! Inside me's just air!"

It gets more complicated how Maya decides what's inside and outside... but you'll figure it out as you go.

Last edited by Phopojijo; 31-10-2005 at 11:14 PM.