Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 16 04-03-2007 , 03:12 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Young Lion: Thanks

starjsjswars:
The only lo poly for this is the clothing. If you head over to the Topology thread its pretty much the same as the female head at the beginning of that At the moment this hi res head comes from another character sculpt. Im using a particular blend shape technique to utilize the use of one mesh for multiple characters but...only using one set of facial expressions(blendshapes) throughout.

Im in the middle of preparing a tute for SM to explain this better and also visually its fun to see in action. My time is precious atm so I cant really get it going until around April time.

Cheers
Jay

# 17 04-03-2007 , 04:26 AM
Hi

Love your work Jay.....Just a question, how do you manage to do the lips texture so perfectly?

Very nice reaaly user added image

"One day someone tells me that I was no one, no one is perfect, if God is perfect so I'm God" - No One
# 18 08-03-2007 , 11:32 PM
Gamester

Thanks, its a combo of hi res images and airbrush work and tweaking of uvs. Theres no secret or magic, I just work on it until its right or best possible, blood, sweat and tears LOL

Anyways update. Just the missing hair and brows to do then onto the next one (character) before rigging!

Jay

user added image

# 19 09-03-2007 , 01:15 AM
im not liking the colour of that vest but at least im not wearing it user added image. also are you using any cloth plugin for this model? like syflex, or ncloth?

# 20 09-03-2007 , 06:47 AM
Nice going Jay looks cool.

How did you go about making the textures for the cloth ahnd painted or HI res images?

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 21 09-03-2007 , 07:44 AM
Hi Guys

Young Lion:
Thanks, I wouldnt wear it either! LOL I dont use cloth plugins of any sort, Im using Maya Complete, if I could afford any cloth plugins I still wouldnt bother with them, as I dont have time to arse about with calculation times, I have too much to be getting on with LOL. Because Im not doing animation I'll simply pose this and sculpt the extra detail in Zbrush which is perfect for what Im doing.

gster:
Thanks dude, the cloth is done with a bit of both. I tile the actual cloth in photoshop, by this I mean I tile it from a 'defined' 600px image which then gets 'filled' into a 2048 or 4096 1:1 uv map. Then I just add all the muck and bullets after which custom brushes and dirt overlays.

Hope it helps

Jay

# 22 09-03-2007 , 09:05 AM
Cheers for that Jay, I asked as im working on a little personal project (finishing off a female character that I postes a while back) and I want to add some clothes to her, i'm going to give Ncloth a go as I'm planning on animating (and I can afford the calculation times LOL!)

thanks for the info

Steve

# 23 09-03-2007 , 09:49 AM
LOL!! Steve Ya bugger

You're mocking me aren't you!! LOL:attn:

Yeah the N cloth stuff looks pretty hot from what Ive seen, good luck and keep me posted how you get on with it.

Cheers
Jay

# 24 09-03-2007 , 10:00 AM
LOL!

I would have just modeled the clothes and rigged them with the rest of the character, but I had a play with nCloth and man is it sweet (well so far i'm sure it will give me some problems when I actually try to use it in anger so to speak!)

Its really simple, make a poly object give it a ncloth solver, some object to collide with and off you go, it even lets you smooth the object after setting it up in low poly and it keeps working (obviousley the simulation times go up but thats that)

Cheers Jay

P.S Cant wait to see some of these characters in poses for your graphic novel, should be sweet as i'm really digging the Ideas for it!

Steve

# 25 09-03-2007 , 11:33 AM
Hey Steve

Cheers for the heads up.

The graphic novel is all going to plan for its online end of May Release. Im just trying to get a bulk load of work done, hence my absence from the forum of late, even msn, I just need to get the ball rolling even more. Ive built two characters in two weeks, I just have one to finish texturing by the end of next week, I'll post that up later on when I get time.

I hope it all goes down well as its been pretty constant the last 3 years planning and modelling stuff and doing story outlines and concept art too. I have 5 A3 sketch pads and various A4 pads just full of stuff, also my desk here at work has just tons of sketches of the ideas that I tend to go thru be them good or bad. I'll post some up at some point.

Cheers
Jay

# 26 09-03-2007 , 02:47 PM
Subscriber
Oh noez an admin spaming!

A great mod for Jedi academy www.moviebattles.com

Computer Rig-

64-bit vista
23.5 inch LCD + a 19 inch
Q6600 intell qaud
4 gigs of ddr2 ram
8800GTS 512 video card @700mhz
# 27 09-03-2007 , 06:15 PM
Possibly, but that sounds like the pot calling the kettle black...

LOL

Jay

# 28 10-03-2007 , 11:08 AM
Hey Guys

An update on this one, this will be finished on textures today. The hair was a nurbs surface, I didnt want to arse about with uvs as the hair style is so simple. The brows Im still considering to do as PFX insted of geometry and alpha mapped textures...

user added image

And lastly here is the next character ready for texturing. This was done in Maya, Zbrush and also Mudbox

user added image

Cheers for now will post updates as and when

Jay

# 29 10-03-2007 , 11:38 AM
Subscriber
when are ur sm tuts coming out lol, it would be good to see character tuts from u or vlad

Toyota Supra WIP

I create feeling in others that they themseleves don’t understand.
# 30 10-03-2007 , 11:59 AM
99GsTurbo

Hey dude, I already have a tute out here on character modeling. Its the GI modelling and texturing dvds. I'll be doing a new one near April time. I think Vlad is working on one as we speak...

Jay