Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 05-12-2002 , 03:53 PM

Selection?

Hi,
Could someone please tell me how to setup my selection tool so that when i'm in face mode i don't acidentally select any back facing geometry, ie verts or faces.

Thanks alot, James

# 2 05-12-2002 , 04:04 PM
Subscriber
you mean like visible selection option available in 3dstudio. i havent found a way to do it, but heres a solution for you. selcect the face you need, then go to a side view and hold ctrl key and drag a box around the rest of the object. this will deselct any faces in the selection square and leave only those you did not select. if you play with this option a little you will see that it gives you a 'depth of selection' control which actually comes in very handy.

<html><font size=2>
<font color="blue">
And after calming me down with some orange slices and some fetal spooning,
E.T. revealed to me his singular purpose.

--TOOL, 10,000 Days---

</font></pre>
</html>
# 3 05-12-2002 , 04:42 PM
Subscriber
another easy way to prevent back faces from getting selected is to single click the face you want to select - not drawing a selction box. if the face does not get selected then you accidentally might have selected a backface, and you can hit z to redo the selection.

# 4 06-12-2002 , 12:06 AM

backfaces

/ ctrl-z
# 5 09-12-2002 , 11:53 PM
Subscriber
there is a option in the preferences know as "backface culling", turn it on and you wont have a problem