Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 16-12-2002 , 10:37 PM
Subscriber

More Smooth issues ...

Well, I got rid of the extra vertice normals using the average function and that smoothed things as required, so then I thought hey. let's get rid of some of the extra geometry even more and so, deleted a bunch of edges using the polygon remove edge command which also deleted related vertices and finished with the attached image which has a much reduced number of vertices with 1 normal and the normals for the faces are also going the correct way. However, as you can see the render is not exactly what I am looking for as it has even smoothed the 90 degree corners that make the hole in the cube.

In order to square this hole out due I have to split the inner polygons close to the edge or is there some other fundamental mistake that I have made ????

Thanks as always,

Don.

# 2 16-12-2002 , 11:27 PM
Subscriber
undo the smooth of the whole thing, then you can either split polys on the inside if ur arch or you can select the faces on the inside arch, go to edit polygons, then subdivide, this should smooth just the inside for you

i think ur model looks weird cos there are too FEW polys in the face, try adding some more in, less isnt always good user added image

- Simon

My Website: www.Glass-Prison.com
# 3 17-12-2002 , 12:05 AM
Subscriber
Hi Nem,

Actually I didn't smooth the whole thing at all. This image is a result just rendering the object as is. The object has less faces on the outside because the inside is the result of a boolean operation from another object with more faces. In the other app that I used before I would have created more faces on the other areas of the object so that it was all quads throughout, but I didn't think that was required in MAYA. Perhaps it is ??????

# 4 17-12-2002 , 12:26 AM
Subscriber
it shouldnt matter, but quads are good
try adding some more edges to the outside using the split polygon tool

add a light into the scene, see what difference that makes
make sure ur anti-a is turned up as well, i no thats not the problem, but its always nice to have it looking good user added image

- Simon

My Website: www.Glass-Prison.com
# 5 17-12-2002 , 12:27 AM
Subscriber
Will give it a go ........

Thanks Nem !!!!!!