Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 13-12-2009 , 04:50 PM

Why Maya and not Modo?

I guess this is a bit provocative here. But since some body wrote about Modo in here and made me look at it in the first place the question seems legit.

So I have been messing around with Maya trying to learn the basics for some months(on and off in my spare time). And hear about Modo a few days back. After toying around with modo the interface for modelling seems so much more elegant and clever. But it is also much cheaper so I assume there is a serious backside to Modo, right?

Please stack up the things that Maya does better than Modo so I don't feel like I have to abandon ship even before I begin my cruise on the 3D oceans.

# 2 13-12-2009 , 04:53 PM
Technical Director
There really isn't a drawback, except that not a lot of studios use it as their main application. Instead, what they might do is use it for certain applications. While it wouldn't hurt to know, I would suggest staying with Maya as it is much more mainstream in production.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 3 13-12-2009 , 05:41 PM
Maya can do more. Modo is mostly for modeling and rendering, while Maya is used for Animation, dynamics, fur, hair, et cetera.

Modo is good, I don't like the navigation though.

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 4 13-12-2009 , 05:50 PM
Technical Director
Actually, Modo is very good at all it's areas, which include Modeling, Painting, Sculpting, Rendering, and Animation. But yes, it does not feature (yet) dynamics or particles.

# 5 13-12-2009 , 06:00 PM
I understand that Modo have just recently added animation, is it as good as animation in Maya or is it more basic cause it is new?

# 6 14-12-2009 , 12:53 AM
Technical Director
I don't see why not. Luxology isn't the one to release something that hasn't been tested thoroughly. Animation systems aren't that complicated. All you really need are keys, and tangent control.