Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 11-09-2003 , 05:23 AM
Subscriber

Research Paper?

I got a question. I got to do a research paper for college. I would like to do research something in the field of 3D. But it has to have a argument or statement. I can't think of anything I can do for 3D that has an arguement about it. Does anyone have any ideas of topics i can do that would do about 3D? Any ideas would be great!

# 2 11-09-2003 , 06:16 AM
Is CG realy art? Are the CG artist making art, or is the computer making it?

Armitrex Studios
Now open!!
# 3 11-09-2003 , 06:18 AM
Subscriber
Good one Ultragames!

# 4 11-09-2003 , 06:29 AM
Thanks! Thats a despute in my house. i say, we are artists, and we are doign the art. Post your paper once your done would ya. I hope you will defend us all if you choose this topic.

Armitrex Studios
Now open!!
# 5 11-09-2003 , 08:38 AM

Originally posted by Ultragames
Is CG realy art? Are the CG artist making art, or is the computer making it?

Is the artist making the art, or is the pencil making it?
I believe you have your answer there.

# 6 11-09-2003 , 09:10 AM
you can further take the point:
when will cg surpass our ability to spot it on a regular base? what consecuences will it have?

The computer is just a pencil right (albeit a very expensive one) the word "presets" arises, the presets are growing in number and quality, but then the art is still (i have seen some research on taking it from us..) the part of the human controlling it. You can have the ability of making flawless fluideffects fires, but if youre not creative on using them it wont be art

# 7 11-09-2003 , 05:46 PM
Ok,to saythat the computer is like the pencilm making the art is in myopinion, absurd. Also, to say that the computer is MAKING the art, is also in a way wrong, in my opinion. What i mean by Is the computer making that art is...

"Is it art, when the computer shades things for you, and shows things that are different distances from the camera in propotion. Can you consider it art when you dont haver to do this your self?"

My answer is yes its art, but thats what i meant by the question.

Armitrex Studios
Now open!!
# 8 11-09-2003 , 08:07 PM
Subscriber
Thanks for the ideas! I think thats a really good idea i'll probly go with your topic Ultragames. I'll just have to surf the internet for some research about it. Does anyone know if there is a book that talks about this?

# 9 11-09-2003 , 09:33 PM
The pencil and computer are both just tools that an artist uses to create their work.

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....
# 10 11-09-2003 , 09:35 PM
:quote:
"Is it art, when the computer shades things for you, and shows things that are different distances from the camera in propotion. Can you consider it art when you dont haver to do this your self?"
:endquote:
well COMPUTER IS JUST A TOOL just complexer, faster and expensiver, than any other we had until now. Theres nothing you can do with a computer that you couldnt do by hand if you had enough time and the motivation to do so. It makes conic projections like the ones on your technical drawing class.[...](that is it only does calculations, really fast, but its only a glorifyed calculator)
The main point is that THE COMPUTER WONT DISPLAY NOTHING YOU DIDNT TOLD IT TO DO. (to the limit of your ability and the ability of the ones you stepped on their shoulders (in this case engineers,software developers and other artists) to look at your objetive (in this case art)

THE COMPUTER CANT (yet) DISPLAY ANY CREATIVITY OR IICIATIVE, hence is just a medium and a tool, like clay on your hands

Last edited by dragonfx; 12-09-2003 at 08:12 AM.
# 11 11-09-2003 , 10:48 PM
There was a HUGE discusion on CGTalk.com abuot this. Search for it.

Armitrex Studios
Now open!!
# 12 11-09-2003 , 10:50 PM
dragonfx, i hope you dont think i thought that the computer is doing it for you, 'cause i dont. I just know some people think that.

Armitrex Studios
Now open!!
# 13 12-09-2003 , 02:02 AM

Originally posted by Ultragames
Ok,to saythat the computer is like the pencilm making the art is in myopinion, absurd.

Getting used to those answers of yours already. user added image

Originally posted by dragonfx
The main point is that THE COMPUTER WONT DISPLAY NOTHING YOU DIDNT TOLD IT TO DO. (to the limit of your ability and the ability of the ones you stepped on their shoulders (in this case engineers,software developers and other artists) to look at your objetive (in this case art)

THE COMPUTER CANT (yet) DISPLAY ANY CREATIVITY OR IICIATIVE, hence is just a medium and a tool, like clay on your hands

Ahh ... VERY interesting reply. I happen to agree.

# 14 12-09-2003 , 07:09 AM
erg, you still dont get it. Good luck wiht your paper man.

Armitrex Studios
Now open!!
# 15 22-09-2003 , 04:59 PM
Subscriber
I been looking on the internet to see if there is any information or article about this topic and I can't find anything about it. Does anyone know of any site with an article or at least a little information about it?