Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 26-10-2011 , 04:10 PM

reflecting textures.

I've been using some of the new Urban Pad work for referencing whilst making a scene to prototype a UDK game. I managed to download a sample of a prefabricated building created in Urban Pad and have used the textures that came with it (though the models are all made by myself) as I found the textures to be a very close match to previous research and concept art I had created for making the environment.

The problem im having is, on rendering with MentalRay - the textures are giving a large reflection of its surroundings. Each one of the several textures I sourced from Urban Pad have done this. Any idea how I can change it to be more matt? The models look as if they have a layer of lacquer over them.

Kind Regards, James

# 2 26-10-2011 , 04:12 PM
Just a quick update, When I turn off retrace, it renders the correct way, but with no shadows etc.

# 3 26-10-2011 , 04:17 PM
The Nurb Herd
do you have very reflective materials on everything?

# 4 26-10-2011 , 05:06 PM
I dont think so - on the renders that were taken of the model I downlodaed from TurboSquid (that model being the one I got the textures from) they dont look reflective atall.

Im new to MentalRay - been trying to scout the web for a set up tutorial that may cover a solution to this problem but with little luck.

# 5 26-10-2011 , 06:29 PM
Super Moderator
It really doesn't matter what the Turbosquid renders look like, the person who rendered those could have use any kind of shader they wanted. As Dom asked, what shader did you assign to the objects?

- Genny
# 6 26-10-2011 , 06:39 PM
Noober than noob

I've been using some of the new Urban Pad work for referencing whilst making a scene to prototype a UDK game. I managed to download a sample of a prefabricated building created in Urban Pad and have used the textures that came with it (though the models are all made by myself) as I found the textures to be a very close match to previous research and concept art I had created for making the environment.

The problem im having is, on rendering with MentalRay - the textures are giving a large reflection of its surroundings. Each one of the several textures I sourced from Urban Pad have done this. Any idea how I can change it to be more matt? The models look as if they have a layer of lacquer over them.

Kind Regards, James

I'm not sure if i can be of any help since i'm a newbie, but did you check the Reflectivity in the Material Attributes > Specular shading? Though i think this is only for blinn material, i don't know if this is available in the textures you are using.

Attached Images
# 7 27-10-2011 , 09:34 AM
The objects themselves haven't had any shaders applied - just the texture placed onto the object & manipulated through the UV editor. Will adding a lambert to the textures through the hypershader do the trick?

*Edit*

The material added to the textures are Lambert;
Diffuse : 0.800
Translucence :0
Translucence Depth: 0.500
Translucence Focus: 0.500

Could it be something to do with the retrace option?

Last edited by jaystar89; 27-10-2011 at 09:51 AM.
# 8 27-10-2011 , 10:12 AM
Im not sure if I get this right:

You are saying that the textures are reflecting the environment of your scene and you want them to be more matt? And you say you are using a lambert??? Is that correct? If so, then there´s something wrong, whether in your explenation or in your software, because a lambert should not have any reflections: Its a matt-shader!
Some screenshots would definitely explain more.

# 9 27-10-2011 , 10:15 AM
Thats exactly it Duke. Could it be my scene lighting? I've had this same problem before on a previous scene in 2011.
Image to come...

# 10 27-10-2011 , 10:23 AM
user added image

user added image

Lighting is simply mental rays Physical Sun and Sky tool.

# 11 27-10-2011 , 10:38 AM
Noober than noob
Maybe max trace depth has something to do with it in Raytrace settings.
At least, according to the guide, this is one of the things that might cause reflections.

The Max Trace Depth setting limits the total Refraction and Reflection settings. By setting it to 8, you ensure that two reflection and six refraction calculations can occur.

Though again this might be for some kind of shader since the guide mentions something like Hypershading for mental ray so it might not help.

# 12 27-10-2011 , 11:29 AM
The Nurb Herd
have you rendered with no textures? you will probably still get reflections because i'm sure its just your shader.

this sentence is backwards btw - "Will adding a lambert to the textures through the hypershader do the trick?" you add a texture to a shader not the other way around. user added image

# 13 27-10-2011 , 01:43 PM
Yeah, I would try to break the connection between the texture and the lambert and see if it still comes out reflective. Then create a new lambert and apply that with textures to your scene. I dont think theres a problem with lighting, since it looks like a simple standart physical sun&sky.
you can create even a blank new scene and create two primitives (cube and sphere) and create that shader again and see if its still weired.

Last edited by THExDUKE; 27-10-2011 at 01:45 PM.
# 14 27-10-2011 , 02:47 PM
Noober than noob

have you rendered with no textures? you will probably still get reflections because i'm sure its just your shader.

this sentence is backwards btw - "Will adding a lambert to the textures through the hypershader do the trick?" you add a texture to a shader not the other way around. user added image

Now i noticed that they mentioned hypershader. Then maybe it's related to that max trace depth value.

# 15 27-10-2011 , 07:30 PM
The Nurb Herd

Now i noticed that they mentioned hypershader. Then maybe it's related to that max trace depth value.

no, not if its a lambert.