Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 31 26-05-2005 , 09:12 PM
Location: Where do u think I am right now? Alright, I'll tell y' all... I'm at Gnomon Workshop and Highend3d sites...Hehehehe...just kiddin':)!!!!Oh, I'm not a ego member anymore? Cool!!!! I'm a Senior Member now!!!!
Hey, Ransid...

The creature really looks good, but if you add some real nasty
textures to some body parts user added image you 'll be able to give me and other people strange sensatios such as drunkeness( what?).

# 32 26-05-2005 , 09:52 PM
Senior Software Developer
ROFL...

Thx, I think user added image

Im just playin with renders and tryin to get some water/fog in the scene.

Once thats complete I can rig it and pose it...

I'll post a snap of it as soon as its finished rendering...

20mins so far :-\

Enjoy all

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 33 26-05-2005 , 11:18 PM
As promised...

Attached Thumbnails

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix

Last edited by R@nSiD; 26-05-2005 at 11:21 PM.
# 34 27-05-2005 , 12:32 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Pure_Morning
well take this as a non-friendly request for you to not start spouting crap like this, because not only did it get read by a mod but a scottish one at that. The irony is you're trying to defend american ignorance and wondering why most of the civilised world dislikes your country and yet in two or three sentences your proved to yourself exactly why. I'm going to leave the post up to remind others what sort of an idiot writes that sort of crap. And please do try and "prove your points" via a PM to me believe me I'm all ears and for the record no it's not a word.

Sorry to have dragged this back to that subject but it's really p*ssed me off.

Alan

Hey, man didnt you read my edit. Im sorry if I offended anyone. I already said that, I know it was stupid, but it was just a joke. Whats worth living if you cant laugh? Seems stupid to me, dosent it you? But seriously, if you were offended by what I said then dont take it as an american stereotype. I think you arent getting what america really is from how I act. But I still dont understand why every country trys to pick on us. You hate us because of our "ignorance"? I mean, why would you dislike us because of that? We are the country of freedom after all.

Now to ransid's model. Good job. Nice concept. maybe fix up the water a little bit, and the seaweed looks a little.........small I guess. But I like your dude. He shows character. user added image

PS. That wouldnt happen to be a dome for the water would it?

# 35 27-05-2005 , 11:24 AM

Originally posted by alienscience

Now to ransid's model. Good job. Nice concept. maybe fix up the water a little bit, and the seaweed looks a little.........small I guess. But I like your dude. He shows character. user added image

PS. That wouldnt happen to be a dome for the water would it?

Thx for the crit there, I am working on the textures as they are still not quite right and due to the water/fog i feel in need to increase my bumpmap a bit to show the skin texture.

The water is still not right yet, and yes its a dome of blue but Im gonna get rid of it and set up rocks or similar kinda background

The weeds/plants will be replaced eventually and the paint effects will get converted into Polys to lalow shadows. its the fog/water thats giving me the big problem as I want to have shafts (ooooo errrr) of light beaming in and I am finding that hard.

I reckons I still have about 2-3weeks work left. So i better get a move on...

user added image

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
# 36 27-05-2005 , 12:47 PM
you really shouldn't worry about the environment / textures etc until you finish the model. I would take more time with your model a fancy environment wont make your model look any better.

Places for you to improve it:

1. the mouth, it stops... surely it should carry on into the model?
2. The arms/egs look like they are just stuck on there.. no muscle definition they don't look like they could even move at all....
3. Texture, the temp texture looks like wood... how come? look at reference of lizards/aligators/snakes/any underwater thingy look at their skins/scales etc and see how they look...

that's what I would do... user added image

user added image

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 37 27-05-2005 , 03:38 PM
Subscriber
wow... unless those teeth folded down/up, then this thing would have to live with it's mouth constantly open otherwise it would impale itself.

Pure Morning is spot on with the last crit. The model and texture could use some fine tuning. The stretching in the texture looks off. Did you UV map first?

You have a whole month left so don't feel rushed to get these done today... sit back, enjoy the ride, and make it your best.

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 38 27-05-2005 , 05:12 PM
Thx for the comments guys...

Im not trying to rush (I think user added image ). Im not totaly happy with the model and i really need to work on it as you guys have stated.

I'll take on board both you comments.

The reason why the texture doesnt look right is it either has tooooooooo many repeats in either the U or V.

OK, im gonna play CSS for the moment and work on texturing for a while. I have some DVD tutorials from Alias so I should be OK once I have been through them.

Enjoy all and have fun

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
# 39 30-05-2005 , 09:06 PM
Hi again folks...

OK. Hopefully my model is looking better with:

The arms and legs looking more like part of the body.
The teeth shortened :blush:.
The mouth deeper
The texture lookin better

If not let me know. After all this is a good learning curve user added image . And I doubt I will win any awards. Ive only been usin' Maya for 6 months now :attn:

Attached Thumbnails

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
# 40 01-06-2005 , 09:56 PM
'ello again all,

Ok heres a preview render of my scene... Still work do be done, I know, but if you can pick up issues...

Please let me know user added image

Attached Thumbnails

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
# 41 01-06-2005 , 10:59 PM
Subscriber
Hey, good progress. I can really tell you upped the bump maps. Just a few crits though. He is standing like a..........chicken. Sorry, all I can think of, his buttocks seems a little to..........wide. But I can tell how you improved the texture also. Good progress.

PS. About your dome comment, I did not want you to change. I actually liked how it turned out. I was just wondering, I didnt know you could get that good of an effect with the dome. user added image

# 42 02-06-2005 , 09:03 AM

Originally posted by alienscience
PS. About your dome comment, I did not want you to change. I actually liked how it turned out. I was just wondering, I didn't know you could get that good of an effect with the dome. user added image

Well...

All it is, is a sphere just over half it's size. It was then given a file for color and i bumped up the transparency. Really simple, but I was experimenting with an underwater look...

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
# 43 02-06-2005 , 09:15 AM
Subscriber
The underwater look is good
just the shadows are to harsh, also try adding some depth to the scene, this will make it look a little bit murky, you can always adjust the background colour to a green aqua or something to that effect, maybe try adding some particles as dust, this will create a nice atmosphere.

If you need any advice, let me know.:nod:

Dae

"I THINK, THEREFORE I AM"
René Descartes

www.mvorster.co.uk
# 44 03-06-2005 , 01:32 AM
Subscriber
OH yeah, I knew how to make the dome thing. I just never got a very good result with it. You did a good job with it. I especially like your light rays, but I agree with dae. You might want to just mess with it a little to get that deep dark murky feeling.

# 45 03-06-2005 , 06:31 PM
Heres another render, tryin to make it look a little more murky and watery (if thats a real word)...

Attached Thumbnails

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter