Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 46 03-11-2005 , 12:09 AM

I agree

I agree that the next challenge should stay away from character modeling, and focus on something different. Too many people create sci-fi models, vehicles, half naked women, etc.; like one person already mentioned. I know the contest will have a great theme again. These challenges are always cool.

I don't know why people get mad at others who do not finish their intended contest entry. Those people will not win anything. It is a free contest, for learning and enhancing one's skills.

# 47 03-11-2005 , 01:27 AM
19 year Veteran
The science fiction fantasy character idea is not about vehicles, objects or half naked women, its about character. Don't know why people are making the idea out to be about as such.

I don't remember anyone ever getting mad at anyone that did not finish a contest entry. I personally feel that if you cant finish a entry by deadline, don't enter it. Why enter something and submit it half finished? It doesn't make any sence. It by no means makes me personally mad at anyone. Of course thats just my own opinion on it, no offence. I think you took what I mentioned to legolas_hv a little too serious. My apologies to you if you did.

I'm shure Mike will decide whats best for the challenge, and if I don't happen to like it, I simply wont enter it. No offence joed8349.

I think a realism challenge is an intresting idea, It would be intresting to see people push there rendering skills.

# 48 03-11-2005 , 02:29 AM
Subscriber
I got the perfect Idea!

What about a REAL LOCATION PLACE!

Lets model a real place from our towns, like a park, a subway station or a building, maybe a ballpark that er, we see everyday

We see the locations everyday and it will be easy to model something we see everyday.

What you guys think!

# 49 03-11-2005 , 02:40 AM

Originally posted by THX1138
The science fiction fantasy character idea is not about vehicles, objects or half naked women, its about character. Don't know why people are making the idea out to be about as such.

Every character based challenge should be about "character". When the challenge has a fantasy/sci fi based theme you will always see spaceships, aliens, mechs, women, robots. Thats not to say good stuff isn't made, but it's all too common. Now a sci fi/fantasy related model with something unique about it (i.e. Kurts frog) is interesting but usually its the same old.

If you want "character" then there is no need to stick to fantasy and science fiction. Why not model a WW2 soldier in combat, a footballer celebrating a goal, or a cartoon styled character, say a chicken or a mouse being chased by a cat or a lost fish.

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....

# 50 03-11-2005 , 03:14 AM
19 year Veteran
Well, I know it's not going to happen now because too many people are putting too much "theme" on idea, which is not what it's supposed to be about. It's about creating your own fantasy science fiction character from your imagination.

Anyway, perhaps this idea will be considered someday in the future.

# 51 03-11-2005 , 06:16 AM
Subscriber
Certainly would be nice...

# 52 03-11-2005 , 06:31 AM
well, i've got an idea that will include both realism, as in having to make something that you see every day, and will have to try to stick as closely to as possible.... and character as well, cause making a character and making it look alive, that's really the challenge of maya....
how about model your own self?
actaully i am being sneaky, cause i already got my head made:p
but, i won't be entering, and i would really love to see what everybody over here looks like in real life...
or maybe, it could be something like "how you percieve yourself in your imagination"??
should be based upon your own self, but, you could go really out and out with it and make it something crazy and fun???

what say...

# 53 03-11-2005 , 08:30 AM
making something real sounds challenging

https://www.imageocean.net/
Free Photo Hosting!

# 54 03-11-2005 , 09:43 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by THX1138
I personally feel that if you cant finish a entry by deadline, don't enter it. Why enter something and submit it half finished? It doesn't make any sence.

I don't think people enter the competititions with the intention of not finishing it (myself included). People work, life gets in our way, etc etc. You cant 'force' somebody to finish their entry. As previously said, they're work is not judged and it is only the're own time that they have wasted.

Anyway, I'm up for something festive too.

Thanks,

Forlax.

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

AIM: tomohawkcg
MSN: marc_d_thompson@hotmail.com

# 55 03-11-2005 , 09:57 AM

Originally posted by utpal
well, i've got an idea that will include both realism, as in having to make something that you see every day, and will have to try to stick as closely to as possible.... and character as well, cause making a character and making it look alive, that's really the challenge of maya....
how about model your own self?
actaully i am being sneaky, cause i already got my head made:p
but, i won't be entering, and i would really love to see what everybody over here looks like in real life...
or maybe, it could be something like "how you percieve yourself in your imagination"??
should be based upon your own self, but, you could go really out and out with it and make it something crazy and fun???

what say...

it's been done, check Mike's site for his one user added image

I think what Alan mean is when you make somthing up there is no refrence of measure. So you can say whatever you want about the model and no one can argue about it. Whereas if you model, texture and render say, digital camera or a VCR or whatever you can look at it as really tell if its correct.

That's EXACTLY what I meant! i couldn't of put it better myself!

user added image
A

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB

# 56 03-11-2005 , 10:05 AM
i hope mikes next post will be the challenge

https://www.imageocean.net/
Free Photo Hosting!

# 57 03-11-2005 , 11:52 AM
So do I, Supra Devil. It seems people here are taken this discussion personal.

I agree that the next challenge should stay away from character modeling, and focus on something different. Too many people create sci-fi models, vehicles, half naked women, etc.; like one person already mentioned.

I don't know what's the matter with the mentioned things. If you are doing a job for yourself, you have no reasons to do something you didn't like. I work everyday drawing a lot of things for many types of clients, and I must admit that's not exactly my concept of fun. But I had a lot of fun doing my entry for the last challenge, and I liked the experience and results very much. Maybe some guys could think it's not a great thing do a well done vehicle, fantasy creature, a half naked women, but to me is, specially because I'm far from a great modeler, and every little thing I get well done is a great thing.

About the next challenge theme, I agree with Utpal in combining both ideas. It's a pitty Alan mentioned this was already done.

# 58 03-11-2005 , 12:09 PM
dont you find it boring to go through the WIPS and see car after car after car after gun after gun after naked chick after naked chick after scifi mech after scifi mech.. you get the idea. I just want to see people branching out more and pushing themselves but also doing stuff that hasn't been seen before especially on these boards!

One of my ideas for Mike was to base the challenge around animals for example. So you could do a photoreal tiger or a parrot or whichever animal you like. That could progress to doing an environment for your animal e.g a dusty plain or a tree top. That would give people that want to do environments a good chance to do a nice matte painting etc.

:attn:
A

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB

# 59 03-11-2005 , 12:27 PM
19 year Veteran
I don't think people enter the competititions with the intention of not finishing it (myself included). People work, life gets in our way, etc etc. You cant 'force' somebody to finish their entry. As previously said, they're work is not judged and it is only the're own time that they have wasted.

And my opinion is not going to stop people from entering either. No offence but please stop bringing this back up.

I think what Alan mean is when you make somthing up there is no refrence of measure. So you can say whatever you want about the model and no one can argue about it. Whereas if you model, texture and render say, digital camera or a VCR or whatever you can look at it as really tell if its correct.

That's EXACTLY what I meant! i couldn't of put it better myself!

If thats what your definition of the idea is, more power to ya. I wouldn't define science fiction fantasy character as a means of copying something thats allready out there to see if it's looks correct or not. Anyway, the idea is clearly not going any where so why keep the argument going? No hard feeling to you guys on this. I don't want you taking this the wrong way.

# 60 03-11-2005 , 01:04 PM
Subscriber
Surely the solution to the problem would be to alter the judging criteria.

For sci-fi/fantsy characters etc, judging could be based on creativity, imagination etc.

More realistic objects could be judged on just that, how realistic they are. Or whatever.

Seems sensible to me. But perhaps the challenge sticky should state exactly what is being judged. Then there is no problem.

Thanks,

Forlax.

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

AIM: tomohawkcg
MSN: marc_d_thompson@hotmail.com