Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 16 23-10-2008 , 10:34 AM
I think it's just instant karma for Vlad for all the times he lauded XSI over Maya after switching over...see dude? We knew you'd be back in one way or another. user added image

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 17 23-10-2008 , 11:08 AM
We should fess up, we did actually push autodesk to make the decission for precisely that reason.

FX supervisor - double negative
# 18 23-10-2008 , 03:11 PM
Subscriber
how long has it been since autodesk got Maya and Max from their former companies?
i thought it had just been like that since Maya7?

well, XSI also has face robot and crosswalk and the other thing and i dont think autodesk had something like face robot until now?

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 19 23-10-2008 , 04:32 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by NitroLiq
I think it's just instant karma for Vlad for all the times he lauded XSI over Maya after switching over...see dude? We knew you'd be back in one way or another. user added image

Originally posted by LauriePriest
We should fess up, we did actually push autodesk to make the decission for precisely that reason.

user added image its gota be bad Karma,
or autodesk is very business savy. buy your direct competitor and voila. ICE for maya. user added image

i cant wait to see how they start implementing soft's technology on maya's archaic architecture.

its win win for us all i think tho. many times i apply for a job and i see experienced with maya or xsi prefered, rearely do i see LW or C4d or houdini. at least in future releases they will probably make exporting from one app to the other a breeze.:blush:

# 20 23-10-2008 , 04:42 PM
When Autodesk acquired Maya, there were so many emotionally charged threads on every forum predicting "doomsday" and all that. While the updated versions haven't shown any earth-shattering breakthroughs, there have been improvements and it's still a fantastic piece of kit. I'm sure the same will be true for XSI. Autodesk will more than likely aim each software at different target markets. In one sense, I find it a bit comical....I mean come on....When did LotR come out? Weren't they using Maya 4.5 or something back then? What about FFX? Spiderman? The list goes on. People get so caught up in things NOT in the software or that "this one has had it for 10 years but Maya doesn't" type of things....it'd take me a lifetime just to master the things it DOES come with....both from technical and artistic standpoint. I can understand folks in the business wanting things to speed up the pipeline so in that sense, I could see the frustration with slow software development progress. You really only have to start worrying when they start stripping major things out of your chosen software. user added image

# 21 23-10-2008 , 05:36 PM
Subscriber

You really only have to start worrying when they start stripping major things out of your chosen software. user added image

they innevitable will mate. In fact, there is no way Autodesk can fully support 3 full fledge dcc apps.

think of it, customer support, training, management, marketing, development, 3rd party supports... and so on. there is no way Autodesk will be able to keep up with all 3.

there were rummors after AD [autodesk] post 2nd quater sales they had a meeting about fusing maya and max into one [meaning a new app with all main features of the two.]
you never know.
---this was a fire sale [32 mil ? ]. i think AD wasnt looking to buy Softimage, but they saw Avid wanted to get rid of Soft, they really didnt want anyone else to buy them.

anywho, so what if AD now owns 60% of the market user added image

# 22 23-10-2008 , 06:05 PM
Super Moderator

... Autodesk will more than likely aim each software at different target markets. ..

I've noticed that and I've seen that befor, offer a billion different packages that are essentially capable of doing the same things.

There are somethings in Maya that just aren't "artist friendly" or just don't work as well as they should and have been that way for a while, I just think people are worried that AD will not really be inclined to tackle those issues now that they control pretty much all the major packages.

- Genny
# 23 23-10-2008 , 06:05 PM
Vlad, I'll believe it when I see it—the merging of apps, that is. Not that it couldn't happen but no sense in worrying about it. I think they could support all three apps. If they acquire xsi, I'm assuming they're acquiring the same developers, support staff, etc. that go with it. Time will tell, though.

# 24 23-10-2008 , 06:10 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by vladimirjp
they innevitable will mate. In fact, there is no way Autodesk can fully support 3 full fledge dcc apps.

think of it, customer support, training, management, marketing, development, 3rd party supports... and so on. there is no way Autodesk will be able to keep up with all 3.

speculation, ya?

i'd like to see features of xsi incorporated into maya and vice versa

ahaha, maya with ice, and xsi with nparticles :p

as long as the two softwares can communicate with each other better i'll be happier

Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
# 25 24-10-2008 , 12:59 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
I totally agree with Nitro. I mean how many of us from the seasoned pro, college grad and hobbiest actually use half the damn features? I dont, though I rig, model, texture and render, thats it I dont touch particles, animation, dont have cloth nor fluids. I use what i need to or have used for the last 10 years. Its horses for courses.

Half the software gets customised for any movie or game and is way outdated by the time it reaches us on the shelves.

It pisses me off when people have to have the latest fad just to say they have it...

Its all very well saying it would be cool to see maya with ice and soft with Ncloth, but do you use these features already and are they improving your work visually and aesthetically.

I could bang on forever. If ever the software gets merged into one 'supersoftware' theres not gonna be alot any of us can do about it, so basically we will have to suck it, learn it and get on with it or the alternative is to go get a job in a supermarket!

Jay

# 26 24-10-2008 , 01:29 AM
I sometimes wonder why Autodesk does not get investigated like other monopolies such as Microsoft or Intel...

C. P. U. Its not a big processor... Its a series of pipes!
# 27 24-10-2008 , 01:35 AM
Subscriber
because the common person has never heard of autodesk?

# 28 24-10-2008 , 01:43 AM
Well you are right about no one knowing about Autodesk (everyone thinks I use a Mac when I mention "3D graphics", lol) but in the olden days, IBM got investigated for being a monopoly in the mainframe market. They had a few restrictions placed on the by the government too, to encourage competition. Now, let us ask, does the average person have a mainframe in their room?

C. P. U. Its not a big processor... Its a series of pipes!
# 29 27-10-2008 , 09:49 AM
Subscriber

Last edited by vladimirjp; 27-10-2008 at 09:52 AM.
# 30 27-10-2008 , 10:57 AM
rofl, very sharp

FX supervisor - double negative