Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 22-01-2004 , 11:46 AM

Couple of questions

What are the three different modelling methods most suitable for?
Polygons, SubD and NURBS. I know that many things can me made using the different methods but what are the particular strengths of each type?

Whereabouts can I find the polygon count for my model?

Can you render in wireframe or with the tesselation displayed on the model?

# 2 22-01-2004 , 11:56 AM
well the modelling question is really up to you each offers it's own strengths and weaknesses and there isnt really one that is completley suited to any task. I for example never model in nurbs (apart from very simple things like tubes) as I hate using them. I use polys for everything and then sometimes subds. It's a matter of choice.

Polygon count is in display>>heads up display>>poly count (i think).

there are loads of threads about rendering wireframes. Do a search on this forum and you will find loads.

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 3 22-01-2004 , 07:44 PM
I don't understand why polygonal modelling is so poplular as you can't tell what you're final model (character) will look like until you smooth it.
Are you supposed to guess what the final model looks like as you're modelling? Not a great option.
Or am I missing something here?

# 4 22-01-2004 , 07:55 PM
Polys are used so much because the are easy to model with and are fast to fix a mistake. If you have sud-ds and want to see what you poly object will look like smoothed just convert to sub-d and back to polys to add detail..

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 5 22-01-2004 , 11:13 PM
The Maya Mountain
Or, as in games, the model DOES look like the model before smoothing. user added image

# 6 23-01-2004 , 01:26 AM
What advice could you give me for high-res polygon modelling, should I smooth and undo every so often to get a look at the model?

The Polygons->smooth proxy option? What using these option do?

Is the Polygons->smooth proxy setting the same as Subd Surfaces->Polygon Proxy mode?

I just want to get these questions cleared up as I planning on doing a fairly detailed character model and I don't want to get half-way into the modelling and find I could've picked a better method.

# 7 23-01-2004 , 01:55 AM
The Maya Mountain
I usually smooth and undo.

# 8 23-01-2004 , 02:14 AM
Subscriber
Holds up hand. Smooth and undo. And your not really gessing with it.. after doing it for a short bit you start to know how it will tern out.

If your computer is fast and can handle them performance wise, use the proxy modes, there cool.

# 9 23-01-2004 , 10:47 AM
Polygons it is so. Appreciate the help.
Time to get started.

Update:
The smooth proxy option seems to do what I'm looking for. But I wonder if there's anyway to convert back to the proxy object and get rid of the smoothed one at some stage. Say if you wanted a low res version of the model?

Last edited by Clod; 23-01-2004 at 11:57 AM.
# 10 23-01-2004 , 01:12 PM
The Maya Mountain
I really don't know... I've never used it.

# 11 23-01-2004 , 03:24 PM
Subscriber
There's no need to convert anything when working with smooth proxy, you have the two physical models you're working with there, both are grouped together. Look in the outliner and if you want you can delete the smoothed model. Just remember in the layer editor to un-reference it first, if using layers.

# 12 23-01-2004 , 07:20 PM
You could download Connect Poly Shape (CPS). This way you are modelling in polys but seeing the smoothed result too.

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....