Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 10-01-2006 , 06:58 PM
Subscriber

Wire Setup Problems

Hi all,

While setting up this one character, I decided to try a facial setup with a combination bone and wire/cluster. This setup seemed to work perfectly fine. However, once the character was completed and test animated a problem occurred, well a couple. To better explain the wire setup, the wires are set in position of facial muscles. Then each cv of the wire has been clustered. In order to control the movement of the clusters around the face properly, each was placed into a group which is where a control object is connected to the group's rotations.
The main problem seems to be that when the character circle/node is moved away from the origin the wire it self moves correctly by it's controllers. However, it does not deform the geometry at all. This also occurs when the character is moves it head out of the default pose.
I've tried a few things to combat this problem, but seemed to come across the same problem or others. I've set the wire to not inherit transforms, which is actually what I had it set at originally till I noticed this lovely problem with the setup. Also have moved both the wire and it's base outside of the heirarchy. I've been coming across situations that look to be double transformations on the wire peices thus pulling tem out of the deformation space. I've even tried adjusting the clusters themselves . I've turned on Relative for each. However that seems to shift the geometry out of position.
Here is an example of the heirarchy setup:
user added image

Has anyone come across this problem or have any idea where I went wrong with this setup? I'd be greatly appreciative of any suggestions/help/tips/tricks in resolving this problem. Thanks in advanced.

John 'Zimm' Zimmermann
Setup Artist
https://johnzimmermann.com

“Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world." - A. Einstein
# 2 10-01-2006 , 10:07 PM
Subscriber
since you already toggled inherit transform on/off and the problem persists,
the only thing i can think of is to try to change transformation order on the geometry. maybe [*maybe] that might help.
drag the deformation order of the wire deformers up in the input/outputu uset up. its the icons before the render icon in the status bar.

just an idea.

# 3 10-01-2006 , 11:18 PM
Subscriber
i also got some similar issues on past rigs at work.

so instead of using the normal parenting in maya, i use more often the new parent constrain in the constrain menu. its like the constrain compensate like in xsi.

# 4 11-01-2006 , 10:03 PM
Subscriber
vladimirjp

Appreciate the glance over this post and the replies. I've toyed around with the parent constraints on him as well. Oddly enough it had given the same results.

I thought I remembered toying with the deformation order as well. Tho figured it was time to play around with it again and see about it. It seems to have done the trick, putting the skinCluster down under the Wires has allowed it to work fine or at least at the moment. I thought I remembered that most deformers were supposed to have been under the skinCluster node in order for the geometry to be deformed properly.

user added image

I definitly appreciate the suggestion that made me go back to the beginning and discover this easy tweak that saved me plenty of time circling around the same techniques.

John 'Zimm' Zimmermann
Setup Artist
https://johnzimmermann.com

“Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world." - A. Einstein
# 5 11-01-2006 , 11:14 PM
Subscriber
no not necessarily always have to be in any hierachical order.

its a logical approach.

i dont rig in maya anymore unless i have to luckily

user added image