Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 16-05-2006 , 10:22 PM

tnt2 and maya?

I'm a bit lost here. I get this error on maya load.

"Your graphics card doesn't support hardware rendering. Pixel shading extensions insufficient."

I know my card is good I use it daily. Its a nvida riva tnt2 agp 16 meg card. I see there are others on the net that have problems, but no resolutions. At least I cant find one. Any one know how to make it work. Maya runs but its like a 386.. I have tried a few driver version with no better luck.

# 2 16-05-2006 , 11:06 PM
I get the same thing, and I have 256mb of graphics. But I KNOW it's my card, because with my old 64mb card, it worked just fine.

I have an ATI Xstacy 9000 (I know, its a gaming card)

Live the life you love, love the life you live
# 3 17-05-2006 , 04:06 AM
well since you have over 1500 posts I could only guess its a hopeless cause. Thats is I would think by now you would have found a fix. Or did you just get your card?

# 4 17-05-2006 , 11:24 AM
That error basically tells you that you cannot use the new hardware render "module" which was introduced in Maya 6 (i think). Pixel Shading support was first introduced in Geforce3 GPUs.

You can still use the old hardware render buffer which uses screen capture technique.

Nevertheless I'd strongly suggest to invest in a new graphics card. TNT2 just won't cut it (hence the slow speed). It's about 7 years old chip and a LOT has happened since.

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 5 17-05-2006 , 03:19 PM
kbrown, here is my point. My 8 meg ati non accelerated card blows this one away. But the tnt2 supports dirrect3d and open gl. If I run a open gl application its a king compared to the ati. For example doom/ quake perfect speeds. And it’s really not the trivial the tnt2 is an accelerated chip set, not to mention it’s a 16 meg card. The Ati would never in its life dream of rendering video like the tnt does. Its not a mater of old chip sets. Maya for what ever reason is not using open gl or direct 3d on this card. If I put in my NVIDIA geforce its does a great gob. I was just hoping there was a way to configure how Maya handles the out put to the video.

also "I have an ATI Xstacy 9000 (I know, its a gaming card)" He is right that card is nuts! Maya is just not "talking" to it correctly.

I dont realy need the new hardware rendering, But 3 second in between each screen refresh. Thats just wrong, my pci 4 meg does better user added image

Last edited by ulaoulao; 17-05-2006 at 03:23 PM.
# 6 17-05-2006 , 08:41 PM
oh also, I can't use Maya anymore because of my GPU. It crashes during Polygon modeling... screen goes blank, fan starts turning really fast, fan stops, computer reports: "VPU RECOVER- FATAL ERROR HAS OCCURED IN YOUR ATI GRAPHICS CHIP. THE COMPUTER MAY NOT PROCESS NORMALLY (something like that)

It's not openGL problem, my own openGL programs run FINE on it, and so does Silo, 3ds Max, and Zbrush (trial). 3ds Max actually runs much faster on OpenGL mode then on Direct3d or Software mode.

Any hints? Or should I save up for 2 years and buy a Quadro FX? (I REALLY WANT ONE!!! but, unfortunatly, I need a new skateboard before it, and a new quarterpipe too (both broken))

Live the life you love, love the life you live
# 7 18-05-2006 , 12:56 AM
I talked to a budy at work to day, he says maya does not use any dirrect3d or openGL. Dont know if this is correct, but sure seems like it. He also thinks Maya was written to work on nvida cards only. But my tnt2 should be doing better. His suggestion is to turn off most view option, and get down to the wire frame. Then add one at a time and see what makes it die. I'll let you know..

i just found this, and its seems rather helpfull.

https://www.alias.com/eng/support/may...ya_60_win.html

Last edited by ulaoulao; 18-05-2006 at 01:24 AM.
# 8 18-05-2006 , 02:28 AM
Well, I reinstalled ver 40 of my nvidia drivers and used flat shade all, and we are cooking user added image